« Back to All Topics
9- Ball BO3, Fair nonsense
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards
Recently ive been playing a lot of 9 ball and have climbed through the rankings in sensational style. A big shout out to all my followers!! 

But one thing i have noticed that is absolutely ridiculous is that a lot of the players (especially the higher rated ones) expect u to avoid doing combos on the 9 ball in order to win the game! WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH!! 

The pros do it all the time. I've never seen Luc Slavas turn round to Pagulayan and say "Hey mate, i wont combo this 9 because its unfair."!!

Yet on this site pplayers expect u to not win the frame in this style........even though combos on the 9 are perfectly legal.

So the next time someone says "bo3 fair?" to me i shall say "bo3 yes mate np, but u can stick your silly fair rule because its a load of nonsense"

And i suggest that anyone else how feels like this about it does the same.

The meister
Fair comment, but if you say " fair play " at the start then don't combo, but if you don't then it's np.
its another one of these issues

if its in the rule book 

then its allowed

if it wasn't seen as being fair they wouldn't have made the rule

everyone has the chance to do it and some people are better at that type of play
AMEN!!!! Perhaps this silly argument will once and for all end.
Sry scissors, are u for or against my argument? :p
I don't know why people call it "fair play" - they want to change the rules to give you less ways of winning, that sound 
unfair
 to me!
Followers? are you jesus or something?
You say don't combo,

I say don't miss.

Snipe :)
Thanks for the response, Im glad to hear im not the only one who feels like this. Good point there Beppe.
Oh and RAVER im not quite on the scale of Jesus, but im getting there :D
Fair is "same rules for everyone", play fair means don't cheat. Combo on the 9 after a foul or not is allowed in the rules for both players so it must be fair.
Depends on rule variations, there are many out there.  Ranging from UK, US, Bar, Pub, and Tournament rules; I myself like to play Diamond nine in nine-ball which dictates all balls must fall in order 1, 2, 3, etc.  I find these rules to be the most skillful rules in nine-ball where as in eight you have a pretty distinct set of rules 
http://sportsrules.50g.com/pool.htm#9ball
 scroll down for the lot of rules in pool...I suppose we all differ in our opinion's on whats fair and whats not
It's fun playing 8 ball with the added rule that you must pot your set in order.
This has been goin on for ages I have put up post about it myself...or thought about it lol

The issue is.....players are sick of opponents smashing the balls all the time in the hope that the 9 ball goes in and ending up missing and maybe snookering the opponent or goin for combos and leaving the 9 over a pocket so that becomes the main theme of the game....this can make for a dull game and one where luck can and usually does play a big part of the game.

The problem is.....knowing the rules without having to discuss them in detail to make sure exactly what you can and cant do before the game is underway and nobody is gonna do that.....and so you dont know what shots you can play lol.

And....if you play one game based on goin for combos and smashing the balls around players probaly feel they are losing points in silly games that they would prefer to have never played....as I do sometimes.  

So I agree "fair(?)" is stupid, I like to play all rules, go for combos when its the best option, try to avoid giving a combo away, but the best way to win is to shoot out!!!

And....I like to play race to 5.....enough games so any luck has a chance to even out and whoever plays best for up to 9 games is the winner!!!

But...the problem with that is player can/only sometimes run if they have string of luck.

So....maybe this is sound justification of options to make players stick to a given amount of games....I think it is!!! 

The "fair(?)" players should have their own rooms 

clever git
(more git than clever)

How say u???

and maybe I cant spell or puctuate

and maybe I have a lot to say about this and maybe I am drank