« Back to All Topics
C4 mathematics discussions
Posted in 
Four in a Row
Posted in 
Four in a Row
There are numerous ways of reaching better understandings of our game; Connect Four. This thread will serve as a mathematical formula thread. We discuss interesting mathematical solutions to states thus we are nerds.

I will personally collect some of my findings, mathematically, to present a finale solution at reaching towards a mathematical formula (which can be used independently internationally without importance of origin and languages)to use for perfect 7x6 play.
Greetings and happy new year to the C4 community! Things change and the years pass by, but FOD and the C4 forum remain standing! :P

I'll start this off by posing a philosophical question-- does there even exist a formula for c4 (that is, a formula waiting to be discovered)?

This is essentially the same as asking: WHY is a correct move correct?

Obviously the primary reason is that a correct move leads to a victory. So now the question becomes, is that the ONLY reason, or are there additional conditions which are always satisfied by the correct move 
besides
 just leading to a victory?

If leading to a victory is the only reason a move is correct, then there can be no formula. If it's not the only reason, then there probably is a formula.

All positions might not be similar in this regard. Perhaps there is a formula that applies to most positions but not all. This would be useful too. But then we would need a way of identifying which positions are solvable and which are not. (The unsolvable ones could still be "solved" using a brute-force minimax search, which programs already do.)

I haven't thought much about this, so I don't have an opinion on the matter as of yet.

I'm interested to see the work you've done so far, mjolke!

By the way, folks...If we find such a formula, it might constitute a solution to the problem of NP-completeness (I'm not sure though). As you might know, that's one of the Millenium Prize problems. If you solve a Millenium Prize problem you receive 1 million dollars...I mention this as extra motivation for you guys to work on this formula!
im not a mathmatician so i dont know the correct formula.each move should put you at an advantage or your opponent at a disadvantage.you gotta move somewhere and your opponent has to move somewhere and create something like a chain reaction that in turn will lead to victory eventually.
Mjolke, when do you expect to have something to show to us? Twice a week I'm eagerly checking this thread!
Bonsoir, Ce jeux est simple comme bonjour. Si vous 
connaissez le système de paire / impaire, alors vous avez déjà fait 50% du travail. Après, il faut connaître les stratégies et savoir anticipé. Mais apprendre parcoeur les stratégies, ne sert strictement à rien. Il faut comprendre le pourquoi du comment ! 

( remarque : pour anticipé, il faut compté les cases ) 

Bon jeu à tous !

Traduction :

hello, This game is simple. If you know the system of odd / even, thenyou've already made 50% of the work. After he
must know the strategies and know in advance. But learning parcoeur strategies, only serves absolutely nothing. We must understand the why and how!

(Note: to advance, we must count the squares)

good luck and good game
Lol.. call me crazy Know - but i dont think anyone of the replies here, will get any Mill-prize soon B)

Lol going out on a limb are ya?

Give me 1000-to-1 odds and I'll bet 1 Euro that someone here wins it within 20 years :P

You know what, that's probably why mjolke is being silent...I shouldn't have mentioned the prize, now he wants to keep his work a secret!
Ill give you that bet my friend! and make it 30 years!

hello Why complicate things when you can make simple? this game is very simple.

it suffices to know the system of odd / pair. (lines)

odd red and pair blue = red wins
odd red and odd blue in two different columns = draw
2 odd for blue = Blue win
3 odd red and one odd for blue = red wins
if the Reds have 3 odd and a pair = red win
if the Blues have two odd and one pair = blue win

In summary, you just add up the numbers of lines. If the result you get is odd = red win and if he is pair = blue wins (example: column 1 line 3 odd in blue, column 4 line 5 odd in blue and a pair in blue column 7, line 2 = 3 +5 +2 = 10 so blue wins) After it is for you to count the boxes well in advance and looked especially good that your opponent has not made an odd or even before you ...

Later, he must know the strategies...

bye good luck at all
With all due respect, we're well aware of the general strategy of the game. Of course I can always benefit from lessons, but I'd rather not receive them in this particular thread (as it's irrelevant to the topic), especially from a player with whom I'm unfamiliar.

The topic of this thread is:
Does there exist a function which maps the current position to a correct move for the current player?