« Back to All Topics
C4 on the street
C4 on the street
C4 on the street
For all the legit C4 players out there, I have read some posts about playing on the street, but has anyone actually done it?? I live by a public park where folks gamble on chess all the time. Might be a little weird to break out the C4 board, but I feel like I could give people good odds and still clean up. Thoughts?
It is prevalent in Thailand.  Connect four hustlers are common, or so I hear.  According to Jerome, they aren't so good, so any good internet player would smoke them.

I was thinking of doing the same thing in the usa, and giving the people odds like you said.  You can give pretty high odds, too, if you are good, because really there are so few good connect four players.  See my thread "joes vs pros in c4" for my estimate of the odds of an average player beating a GM.  

I say try it, what is there to lose?  If you tell people they can bet something like 2-10 dollars and that you'll give them like 10:1 to 50:1 odds, I think you'll have takers.

Just make sure you're good against all the weird moves an amateur might do.  Actually, if I was gonna do it, I'd wanna know everything about c4, which is why i haven't tried gambling yet.

If you're serious about this, I can give you a list of the challenging weird moves amateurs sometimes do, and I'll give you a program that can tremendously help you study positions.  
I guess one way to give odds is like 10:1. What I have tried before is to play a series (say 5 games). If they win even one game, they win the bet, and only lose if I win every game. I have done this a few times, and it usually gets people b/c nobody thinks they will lose EVERY game. But of course they do lol. Anyway, I would like to discuss some ideas further, but I don't want to post my email address on here. Any ideas?
The series is a good idea, but then you'd hafta increase the stakes otherwise you won't be making money very fast.  The odds depends on what their bet is, and what the balance is between attracting people and making people suspicious.  Like, if you give them 1:1 they won't wanna bet, but if you say 1000:1 they'll know they have no chance of winning and still wont' wanna bet, so gotta walk the line.

I'd be happy to trade more ideas with you, and you can tell me what works and what doesn't when you try it.  I don't mind shouting my email so here it is: fstal86@yahoo.com