« Back to All Topics
Java 6 issue
Java 6 issue
Java 6 issue
As some of you are aware there have been numerous reports regarding possible problems with this. However, we have been unable to reproduce the effects described. Therefore, can those of you who have suffered from this, please describe EXACTLY what occurs on your screen, and if possible either post a screenshot of it here, or e-mail it directly to 
larkinor@flyordie.com
 with the subject title "
java Issue
".

Until we have more information and are able to reproduce the effects we are unable to determine if the problems described are indeed related to the java update, or are caused by something else.

one day I clicked to open chat and it said i needed the new java update to run. I downloaded it, and within a couple of hours i had a problem. the screen started flickering real fast, the icons appeared as text (ie: enter palace) the text in the market would sometimes disappear and be black lines unless my mouse was over the line. parts of the page would be blank. as it flashed it would change. The chat screen would go blank or parts of it would, and it would *copy* the chat screen to the top left corner of my monitor off the window. I still had to type in where i usually have to, but it looked like i was typing in the new copy of chat in the upper corner.

I repeatedly deleted cookies and cleared cache and rebooted my computer, and it still happened within a couple of hours. It didn't matter if i was actually typing in chat or not, and i never had it happen when chat wasn't open.

once i deleted the java 6.0 update i had no more problems.

Hope this helps ;)

Lusha
My experience was EXACTLY the same as Lusha's.  Once she told me about deleting java, I did so.  I have had no further problems.  I will add that it usually seemed to occur after I had been in chat for extended periods of time (maybe 2-3 hours).  After the first time in any session, I had to completely close IE to stop the problem, and then it seemed to reoccur sooner.

~Boo
I have had the same problem i also deleted update 6 of java and no longer have a problem 
This PERFECTLY describes the behaviour I have seen but I do have a few things to add.

I never see this problem immediately, I only tend to see it after at least 30-60 minutes of playing Larkinor with the chat window open while frequently switching between multiple browser windows (forum, Larkinor Guide, etc) as well as other Windows applications.  (This time delay may suggest a memory leak although I haven't thought to check for changing system resource requirements while running the applet.)

I was running Win XP with Java Runtime Environment 5 update 6.  I don't remember ever experiencing this error before installing this update, but then again, I was using a completely different computer up until very recently.

I play without chat at work (and with a different version of the JRE) so I have never seen this problem there.

Finally, I haven't seen the problem since Lusha suggested I uninstall the most recent JRE update (version 5 update 6.0), but I've only played one short "chat open" session since that time.

Sandy

o I thought it was just me having these problems i too have had the excact problems that both sandy and lusha have described.
Only after i had up dated java did this happen.

Ria:p

I was having the same problem until lusha told me to remove update 6.  I have also noticed that since removing java update 6, larki chat works and other programs/sites that use java work better as well.
oh...i also tried running defrag, and deleting loads of stuff first to make sure it wasn't cause my memory was too low or something...didn't help either
Please include browser and OS version in your post too.
(like IE or FF, 98, 2k, XP etc.)
For my post above: IE6, WinXP Media Center Edition.

Sandy
IE 6.0    XP Pro SP2 (work  shhh)
IE 6.0   XP Home Edition 
I reinstalled it by accident cause I am a dingbat, so I figured I would at least get a screenshot out of it:

[IMG]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/lmw4980/javass.jpg
/IMG]
That is exactly what happened to me and i'm using IE 6.0.2900, things have been ok since i deleted java upgrade 6 though
is this Java update automatic? cuz i haven't had anything telling me to download it and i haven't had any problems loading chat or anything up. Just the normal lag that i get all the time lol...
well i shall consider myself lucky:p

katie
I had to manually install the update.
i am running windows XP and IE and am still having trouble with this issue.  I would like to just delete this app but its a new comuter and wouldnt be able to chat at all if I did so.  the same as above reported are happening. 
AA, just go into Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the most recent Java update to Java 5 (I believe it shows up as "Java 5 Update 6" or something very similar).  Then be careful not to reinstall it when Java tries to get you to download and install the latest updates.

If you just remove the update and leave the rest of the Java Runtime Environment there, you'll be able to use chat without the problem described in this thread.

Sandy

yeah i was gona do that but installed in the comp is only the java 6 runtime envirronment...the update is the only java i have...so if i uninstall the whole thing wont work...I wish i had my old comp now :(

Here's a link to install the previous version of the JRE (you don't want the JDK).  Uninstall version 5 update 6 before installing this one.

http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2se/5.0_05/index.html

Sandy
tried that but i dont have suficient privilidges to do so...i cant install anything on this comp since it is my work one...thanks anyways sandy. :)