English speaking room
Posted in 
Billiards
English speaking room
Posted in 
Billiards
English speaking room
hi all
I would like to say I think its a shame that the main 8 ball room is a multiple language room...if everybody spoke one language would be lots more fun ...how are people ever going to make friends in a language they don't speak..I think its off putting new people join wonder what's going on think its French only for example...the 8 ball has lost lots of users due to this numbers keep falling...
Hello murdock,
When you enter this website you have to be aware that you meet people from different age groups, different social levels and different educational backgrounds. 
Many people who play at FlyOrDie speak their native language, but not English. And this is fully ok!

8-Ball didn't lose any players because French was spoken -  It has always been predominantly French, and I have been on FOD since 2003.
Kind regards,
John

P.S.: Room 1 is an International room, not an English room.
Edited by John Stewart
❤️
maybe a translate button would be good ..then I and others could perhaps understand what's going on in the lobby.. its great the rooms international ..brilliant ..the question was about the language that's spoken English is the international language
yes good idea. but like i said. Not everyone speaks english. there are people who are older, and they do have the right to speak in their native language in the INTERNATIONAL room. 
Kind regards,
John
❤️
Actually, I played 8 ball for many years and they used to have a foreign room where all the French players played, not in the main room, but things change. Back then, there was mostly English speaking in the main room. But we can't discriminate so get used to it.
❤️
In fact, back in the early 2000s, I never once saw French spoken in the main room lobby. Everyone spoke English then
its a massive problem..people are always complaining about this..to attract new people here its going to need to be prominently English speaking ..I think instead of catering for a handleful of people the site should be thinking more of the future.. where as todays young people who are more likely to come across this site do in fact speak English x *no shouting included.
hi murdock,
there already is an English room.
Kind regards, 
John
❤️
hi John 
there's also a French one
And an international one, where people from all over the world can meet. 

Nobody can force people to go to the French room or to the English room, etc.  It is up to the players where they want to play. 
and  - as you can see -  people want to be together! 

That's why the International room is populated, the other rooms are more or less empty. 

Have a nice day/evening
John
❤️
I hate to sound biased but Murdoch makes a valid point. I know a lot of the old timers who used to play 8 ball but no longer will because of all the French in the lobby. People want to make a point of it being an international room but  French speaking countries are greatly outnumbered by English speaking countries so why should French speaking monopolize the conversation? Again, sorry to offend anyone but it truly does make English speaking people not want to join in the lobby chat.
❤️
😮
Hello HappyMealLover

You say: "French speaking countries are greatly outnumbered by English speaking countries so why should French speaking monopolize the conversation? "  

My reply:  At 8-ball the French speaking people outnumber the English speaking people. 

Kind regards,
John
Yes, perhaps they do in that room but not so in reality. English speaking countries outnumber French speaking ones by three to four times. And that's what Murdoch's gripe is all about, the fact that the room used to be predominantly English speaking and that changed some years back so those very same English people all left and won't come back. Personally I don't care and French is a second language in my country which is bilingual. In fact, one side of my family is from Quebec or French Canadians. Actually aboriginal Metis Indian. I'm simply stating facts and I was there every day back in the early 2000s. I saw it happen, saw the change and saw many friends leave.
❤️
But, is there a way to make everyone happy, very unlikely. There are separate rooms but most people flock to the main rooms now. You'll see Hungarian spoken, Hindi and Urdu as well. Plenty of Spanish and Portuguese too. Given the time zone differences, a lot more English speaking people play in the evening in North America when the lobby is more quiet and those who do speak are mostly Americans and Canadians.
Hello HtDiggityDog, 
My posting is a response to HappyMealLovers who posted before me. 

I don't think it's a valid argument about how many people around the world speak this or that language, because this is about FlyOrDie and everyone has the right to speak their native language and everyone has the right to chose a room where they want to play.  
I also speak more than one language and I truly enjoy the diversity in the international room.

In my opinion, the departure of players is not related to language. Originally, I played reversi, chess, and memory. There too, many old friends left -  but new people came. That's the way things go. 
Kind Regards,
John
Edited by John Stewart
❤️