« Back to All Topics
power bar inconsistnet
Posted in 
Curling
power bar inconsistnet
Posted in 
Curling
power bar inconsistnet
has anyone else noticed that lately the power bar isnt always the same? We all know what tee line weight is and ive been here a yr and a half so I know where to stop power and rock is going to be on or near the tee line (granted some times with sweeping). but several times in last few days ive gone for a shot to tee line and its come up 3 or more ft short when it happens on 1st threw 6th stone I can usually deal with it, but when it happens on 7th or 8th its very frustrating. You learn where this weight is and ive literally have shot 1000s of these shots when it doesnt work right makes me wonder if I even want to play much less pay for it anymore.    
it's called curling... they should have at least 6 different ice patterns and as a skip that is your job to figure it out.. curl and speed is never the same in the real game.
happy are you saying it should change during game usually on last shot I dont think so, It didnt do that on here before you dont know what speed to shoot Now I have noticed it changing from game to game and I do figure that out but when I shoot my 3rd stone with tee line weight and it goes a foot past the tee and Im drawing the whole game then when hammer time match is on the line all i need to do is get one in red for win and I shoot it just a smidge harder than tee line weight and it doesnt make it out of the white I get frustrated Ive played enough matches on here to know Ive lost another match since I posted this because of this issue, this game is too unpredictable I spent months learning the aim and power then months learning stradgey  which I will still be learning until i die but this power bar thing is too much

i agree with wolfman .happy i agree that ice is different from game to game or venue etc but not within a 10 end match should a shot with same power and aim adjust by 3 feet.that is not how ice differs in a 15 minute period unless the underground cooler is on the blink.sure some irregualrities with grit etc but not massive inconsistencies.no one should be expected to cope with that.in an online game you should expect well practiced power and aim to give up similar results.
Are you maintaining a constant temperature and humidity in you computer room.  These can wreak havoc with a good sheet of ice. :)

Seriously though, another thing to consider is the path you are following with your shot.  Real life ice can have different times down the ice from one side to the other or out to the sides farther from the centerline. I find shots crossing center tend to "dig in" a little more as well.  I'd be surprised if ForDie has this level of detail programmed into the game, but kudos to the programmers if they did.

As everyone knows  the earlier and harder you sweep has a dramatic effect on the rocks speed, therefore taking away the curl.  Plus always remember that drunk guards are ok , but high guards are know good
The power bar for me is fairly accurate. If I want to draw tee-line, I wait until the power bar hits the sideline, and then I release. For a tee-line draw, the ideal weight is when the top of the power bar is past the sideline and the bottom of the power bar has not reached the sideline. Therefore, the sideline should be intersecting in the middle of the bar. That's about top 4 weight (though it differs by about 1-2 feet with every throw), then I sweep accordingly. In real curling, the ice is not always the same, so I'm fine with the small imperfections in the ice. It adds a certain level of realism.
I agree with previous comments, the power bar is fairly consistent and with sweeping is generally easy to control.

There are so many factors that affect shots on real ice from pebble breaking down (ice fudging), frost buildup, temperature of both the ice and air on the ice surface, ice plant cutting in and out, etc

You just need to pay attention to changing conditions. 
thanks Jen yes that is tee line weight and that also is my point sometimes the rock with that weight wont even make it to red its done it several times to me. It doesnt happen often and when it has happened its always came on my last stone whether I had hammer or not. That is my whole point of this thread, I have noticed that it hasnt happen in last week so thats good.
Jen never plays so his opinion don't really matter.
Wullie never wins so his opinion don't matter.