« Back to All Topics
Skins format scoring suggestion
Posted in 
Curling
Posted in 
Curling
I think a good solution to the issue of people quitting during and end or after only 1 or 2 ends would be to have a skins room.

The skins format treats each end as it's own game. Each end is given a value, with the value increasing for the later ends. (for example, ends 1 to 3 could be worth 1 point each, ends 4 and 5 worth 2 points, ends 6 and 7 work 3 points, ends 8 and 9 worth 4 and end 10 worth 5)

To win the 'skin', the player with last rock needs to score 2 or more or the player without last rock needs to score 1 or more.  If it is a blank or the player with last rock scores 1, then the value of the skin is carried over to the next end. 

If a player wins the skin, the other player gets last rock in the next end. If no one wins, then the player who did not have last rock, gets it for the next end.

I think this would fit this online version of the game well for a couple of reasons:
1. currently, the player without last rock needs to try to steal since even a score of 1 for the player with last means lost points. This would allow you to try to keep the opponent to 1 point and carry the points over to the next end (and gets last rock).
2. it would make it more fair when a player quits partway through as it treats each end like it's own game.
3. it would remove the temptation for the player with last rock to just 'keep it clean' and score 1 point
4. brings the value of a blank end into play.

I would love to try out this format here. 

Thoughts?
This is a good suggestion, and it has come up before.
Personally I'd like best to be able to challenge for a set amount of ends, just like in chess were one can challenge for different game lengths.

Gaining rating for scoring a 1 with hammer is in any case just plain silly.

The scoring system is obviously what most people in the forum have taken offence with, and there should be a way of making it better without barring out 'the casual player' as the operator so nicely put it.
I think agreat idea for this game is heart rate.  So if it is close to the end and the guy has a hard shot, the weight meter gets a tad quicker making it an even harder shot.  Little added pressure I guess!