Posted in 
Four in a Row
give me them now!
Everyone who has vianiato, do the following:

1) Find your vianiato folder, open it
2) Right-click the Books folder
3) Click: Send To > Compressed (Zipped) Folder
4) Notice the new file in the folder called "books.zip"
5) Email me with an attachment of this new file!

In return, I will:
1) Combine everyone's book files (except for the antis) into one new set of bigger book files
2) Send you these new book files

Then you can replace your book files with the new ones by doing the following:
1) Download my attachment
2) Extract the Books folder from books.zip
3) Open the vianiato folder, delete the Books folder
4) Cut and paste the new Books folder into the vianiato folder. 

What you and everyone else gain from this is a Vianiato that thinks and plays faster.  It should only take you 2 minutes to send me your books, and another 1 minute to replace them with the ones i send you.  You'll make up for the time lost after just a few solves in vianiato!

Send to c4filosofer@gmail.com

Thanks!
I'll send you mine on monday. =)
Allright :D
I'll send you mine tonight

Ŧħē_ИāΜēĿē$$ 

hello fstal do u have msn?

(sigh this site is getting boring)

U.B
i have a malfunctional msn but i am able to use the web messenger.  batmanii771@hotmail.com
Thanks to loil the first sender.  His books alone are probably as big as the rest of ours combined lol i'll start combining right away.  

Smartly, he didn't include his antis, which is something I forgot to mention.  I'd rather you not send your antis, it would be useless to combine them, plus you can keep your style a secret from me hehe.  To exclude them, just do this:

1) Open Books folder.
2) Open 7x6 folder
3) Cut "Antis.data"
4) Paste to desktop (or whereever)
5) Then follow the procedure in my first post.
6) Then when you get my attachment, do the steps i said for that, but also remember to paste the antis file into the 7x6 folder.

(Idiot-proof instructions in case there are any idiots who have vianiato :D)

If you've already sent the books with your antis included, that's fine.  I'll keep track of which antis belong to which email addresses, and send yours right back to you when i send you the books.  Then i'll delete them once you have em back, or hold them for you in case your computer ever crashes, your decision lol.
sadly i dont got vianiato, but ur very noble to do this fstal, really nice!

i'm benefitting from it too, my books will grow and my book generator will have less things to solve and thus take less time.

And why don't you have vianiato? :O
Are my books really that large?? I guess eliten's books are way bigger than mine...
A faster way:

1. Compress your whole folder Books
2. Delete "Antis.data" out of the compressed file
3. Send
its not to find on the net.. 
Not intersant we know haw to play,we dont need programms ?WHY is this so intersant ?:)
so ask someone!  Would you like me to send it to you?

And yes, loil's way is faster, do that instead.

To answer the question about size, they're not big in hard disk space (a couple megabytes total), but they are big in quantity: imagine how many possible games can be played...well don't imagine, i have the number.  The books go up to ply19.  According to Appendix C of Victor Allis' thesis, there are 5,252,058,812 legal positions for 19 pieces on the board.  Add that to the number of legal positions for ply18, ply17, etc. and the number is:
9,813,228,040 (if i typed it all right in my calculator).

But I think Allis counted most of the same positions twice, one position being on the left of the board, the other on the right.  So the true number is Allis' number, A, minus the number of symmetrical positions, S (symmetrical positions can't get counted twice), divided by two, plus S.  In other words: [(A-S)/2] + S

Since I don't know S, i'll estimate and say A/2, which is 4,906,614,020.  

Oh it's actually not an estimate, the 2 in the denominator makes the two formulas equal somehow, as opposed to if it were say, 3.  So there's your answer, 4.9 billion positions, which I doubt any of us have come close to playing yet in vianiato!

Technically there's a way to calculate how many positions your book files have, but i wont get into that now.
Hmmm....No thx.So u gonna use him ?
You're almost making connect-4 worth playing again!
fstal, my email is relfzon@yahoo.com. If u want to send, thats great mate, your my hero. Thx so much.

It would be nice to have a programme that play anties, not just perf play.

peace.
>Technically there's a way to calculate how many positions >your book files have, but i wont get into that now.

Yeah it's a bit too technical for the ordinary fod player but here it goes: 

1) Right-click on the ply file and select Properties
2) Find out the exact size of the file in bytes
3) Divide the number by 8 and you have the answer
Oh btw, now is your chance to make Vianiato breakable. Someone just send him a corrupted file and everyone who downloads this giant book gets infected (A)
oh is that all it is...i wasn't sure if it was divide by 8 or 16 or 64, since you couldn't make up your mind how many bytes a line was.

In that case, if we look at say, ply 8, mine's 569kb, so divide by 8 means 71,000 positions.  Allis says there's 206,000 possible.  Assuming vianiato only counts one side, we can halve 206k and so 103k, so my ply 8 supposedly has 70% of all possible 8-move positions.  If vianiato does count both sides, then it's only 35%. 

i dont appreciate ur attitude jops lol.  But ur off the hook cuz i just checked my email and u sent ur books, that's all i care about :D

So thus far i have: loil, nameless, bradspelaren, and jops.  Everyone else, quit slacking!
No, it doesn't store both sides but you need to divide by 7/4 and not 2 if you want to remove the mirror positions
Besides the 8-ply book was compiled by Tromp and is therefore almost complete ie it contains all legal positions where neither players has won and where the next move is not forced
And the conclusion is that you fail your math test
But at least your name rhymes with an F so nomen est omen
Soon the moderators have no other choice than to mark this thread as spam and delete it
Though most threads here are spam
or they can just hit u with a demerit for forum abuse :p(hint hint mods lol)
so how many positions does a 569kb 8-ply file have then, if you count both sides like Allis does.

Yes i forgot about the tromp file...instead of combining your 8-ply files, i'll just convert his file to book format, will only take a couple more steps.
It IS the tromp file in a different format you dunce
I think it would be easier if you logged in on msn so we can chat there instead
ohhh now that you say that, i see i can't find any unsolved positions with 7 moves made.  

my only question now is, how are our 8-ply files differing in size?  Mine is 569, loil's and nameless' are 566, and yours is 568.

does the tromp database exclude obvious positions, like ones where a connect 4 must be blocked?

eh yh i suppose ill log on
You're too late, Jops just went offline. =(
> does the tromp database exclude obvious positions, like ones where a connect 4 must be blocked?

Aa

> where the next move is not forced
why are jops and fstal fighting :S this is D-dog btw i dont think pink wolfie would mind me using the acount since every1 knows the pass is fakepass and since im ip banned this all i have :)
were not fighting.  Im pestering him and he's reluctantly sharing his wisdom
he said to send a currept file :|
Wow since when did i own Verzion? Oh and thanks for telling everyone D-dog..

Wolfie
I'm actually very proud of fstal that he's able to do all this on his own!
way off topic....It's finally summer here in Belgium, so screw connect 4 for now :p

Sunny greetz

Ŧħē_ИāΜēĿē$$  
how should i do to get vianiato?
since you asked so eloquently :p

email me at c4filosofer@gmail.com and i'll reply with an attachment of vianiato
How about the books fstal86? Getting a little impatient here...
did mail you 2 days ago, but no answear.
hey can we get the combined books soon?

he means by email... and this was awhile ago i dont think frank still even checks this forum or if anybody els does.
but you could still email him... just dont expect anything getting done.