« Back to All Topics
The Charlton Athletic Diaries.....
Posted in 
Off-topic
Posted in 
Off-topic
I've spent the last week with Charlton Athletic, I intend to post new entries weekly until the end of the season.

The Charlton Diaries.

21/03/08:

Jubilant. That’s the word of the day for the Charlton fans as they head home from the Valley following a 1-1 draw with Championship giants West Brom. Halfords goal midway through the first half delighted the fans and even brought the stern faced chairman Derek Chappell to his feet. Glory, however, quickly gave way to despair, as a six yard stunner by Kevin Phillips left Addicks goal keeper Nikki Weaver stranded. Not to be downhearted, the fans on the coach back home reflected on the game and came to the firm conclusion that although they drew with regards to goals, they indeed won 3-1 with regards to bookings.

24/03/08:

Tensions were high at the Valley today as Alan Pardew lined his bedraggled side up for yet another gruelling training session ahead of Saturdays crunch game against Wolves. Having gained a sorry 2 points from the last 5 games, the mood was at its lowest ebb. The monotony of running in the lashing rain was broken only by an enraged Jim Davidson in the Jimmy Seed Stand, quotes such as “It’s not fk’n good enough!” from one of the nations best loved comedians did little to lift the players spirits.

27/03/08:

The squad travelled into London today for a trip to the Natural History Museum. Pardew stated that “this is intended only as a morale boosting trip, the pressure’s off the lads now as we’re languishing at 10th spot” A sentiment echoed by Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink who took full advantage of the trip coinciding with his birthday by spending almost all of the time in the food court with Varney. The day was marred somewhat on the way back when the Ford Transit broke down on the hard shoulder. The team finally returned at 11pm after a kind hearted passer by offered them a lift in his Punto. The club later thanked Iain Dowie for, “taking them back down again”.

28/03/08:

Charlton legend and former striker Derek Hales today gave the team his full support. Hales commented, “I’ve got a free £25 bet with Paddy Power and I’ve put it on the lads to win 2-1 tomorrow. It‘s a long shot I know but I feel it’s achievable”. Hales is expected to be watching the drama unfold from his local in Gillingham on Sky Sports. It is rumoured that if the 7/1 bet comes through the funds will be put towards a new centre back in the summer.

29/03/08:

An Amazing Draw!! Or at least that’s what it would have been for Charlton fans if their defence hadn’t allowed a casual Karl Henry in on goal in the 90th minute. Cleanly taken from 4 yards out, the ball rolled past three defenders and nutmegged a despondent Nikki Weaver. After the game Pardew said about the narrow 3-2 defeat to Wolves, “It’s a crying shame really, three points would’ve been invaluable but it wasn’t to be. Now we’re looking over our shoulder at the relegation dog fight, and it doesn’t look pretty.” Derek Hales watched the first half of the game at his local, The Frog and Loincloth, in Gillingham, until the sound system broke down and he spent the entire second half watching the results via Teletext. Hales is said to be less than happy that his £25 free bet with Paddy Power didn’t come through.

Davemeister.
Keep up the great work dave!

I'm looking forward to the next injection of "The Charlton Athletic Diaries....."

Great stuff....
Matt :D
Heh you could make a career out of this :p