« Back to All Topics
Home catering
Home catering
Home catering
since this is the only forum i go on, i thought it would be a good place to get ideas on a catering bussiness i want to start. i dont need to much advise since i am going to school for stuff like this but would be most welcome for some. but mostly just want to know if it would be good or bad idea. 

the catering i want to do is primaraly a home catering service. were i would get booked at least a day or 2 in advance to prepare. cook a 2-5 course meal for parties at big as 30. Will not do raging parties these are more for sivilized people who want to have a nice party, entertain friends and family and not have to worry about anything. just paying me is the only thing to worry about. I also offer dinning room decorating and have a person willing to do this for me. 

hope to get lots of comments, would be helpfull to me and please dont be negitive, if u have nothing nice to say dont say it at all. thanx 
                                  cloudssword
I'm sorry, but this post of yours is inappropriate for a game centered board.
wow jwb... did you not read the end of the post?  if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything.  yes, i agree... this post would be more appropriate in the FOD forum "offtopic", but i've seen more than a few offtopic posts on this forum, so it's not all that inappropriate, since it is only some of the people in larki who actually know clouds.
anyway, as for the actual post... i don't have much opinion on the matter.  the one thing you said that concerns you is getting paid.  if it's about price, i wouldn't have any idea what you should charge.  but if it's about how/when to get paid, an informal contract is probably the best idea.  yes, some people might be put off by having to sign a contract to have you cater for them, but if you make it simple enough, and explain it to them when you give it to them, it shouldn't be too bad.  maybe just something as simple as having the date/time set in stone, and having them pay 25 or 50% down payment when they give you the contract, with the remaining money the day of the event.
--jason
thanx thats a really good idea im glad i gettin some info hope to get more and sorry for putting it on this one place wasent sure really ware to post it but thanx i will keep that in mind. 
                             cloud
meet me in chat and I can tell you what my sister has done in her catering 
  sec
anothe idea came to me, i think i would like to incorporate just cook for people that maby cant cook cuz of injuries or anyting of the sort. I dont think i would like to do it three times a day for them but get paid for makeing so much food for like a week that they can heat up in the microwave or just pull it and eat it. if anyone has any ideas on something like this it sure would be helpfull. 
              thanx

My mother has a disability which prevents her from doing stuff like grocery shopping, cooking three meals per day, etc, and so falls into this category.

In Canada, where she lives, there are social programs to help people like that.  I assume you live in the US, but I have no idea what systems you have in place for disabled people there.

She has people coming around to bring groceries, clean the house, take her into town to pay bills and stuff, all paid for by our tax dollars.  She's not in a financial situation where she COULD pay for catering or similar, so that's not even an option for her.  What I'm getting around to saying is that your target customer (in a country that has such social programs) would be limited to those who are disabled but are still wealthy enough to be able to choose the non-social catering, and then choose to do so.

Sandy

There are programs in some areas that are generally called "meals on wheels" where people get food delivered to them at certain times, but I don't know if it's every day or every week or what.  For almost any governmental help program in the US you basically have to be, and stay, basically destitute and penniless for as long as you want to be given the services.  For example, if I ever have anything that is considered an asset at any one time that is valued over 2,000 dollars collectively, I lose the help I get and, in America, once you lose the help, it's very difficult to qualify the second time.
thanx sandy, i really liked that input, my mom is also disabled but can still get around but does not have a job witch makes her have lots of depression and so she dosnt eat and stay fed and healthy. i guess if i wanted to incorpat something like this in my bussiness i would keep it low hours and low funding. like i said i would make up a weeks meal for them to just heat up and not be around there much thus making cost fairly low. and it would be good i dea if i could get a gov. to help with things like that cuz i know its hard for some people. it was also just a thought to make a lil exta chash and to help people. I am also very thankfull for you input makes me have to think about this more. thanx alot
                                                   cloud