« Back to All Topics
Disconnections with D-Link router...
Posted in 
Technical
Posted in 
Technical
I borrowed a D-Link 4 port router last year and had a few disconnection problems with it. After getting a different brand the disconnection stopped. Now I just bought a new D-Link Extreme to connect the laptop as well... and I haven't been able to complete even a game of 9-ball on the home PC (wired connection). 
Does anyone else have a D-Link and do they have disconnection problems with it?
 I want to know if this router is a problem.

My old cheap Gigafast never gave me disconnection problems on the wired computer, but I had to change it because it kept dropping the wireless broadcast. Is anyone using a 4-port (RJ45) Wireless G router without any problem? What kind is it?
For those of you who bother to read through or search these posts:

I changed the MTU settings in the router and do not disconnect from games now. The default was 1500, but at 1400 everything is okay. I will now be trying to find the maximum rate which allows me to play billiards. It has been suggested that I start at 1492 and reduce by 10 each time until the problem stops.
Could this solution work with a router in general (any brand?)  Just wondering as I constantly get disconnected and am yet too find the cause of it
IT was a general suggestion, it could very well help. Remember your original settings so that you can go back if necessary.
Beppe m8 i donno if u know but if u try www.speedguide.net they have a tcp/ip analizer and will test your connection and give u your best mtu rate and for those that dont use a router they have a nifty little program thats free called tcp optimizer and works great for mtu settings..
gl Spence 
Thanks for the tip Spence, but the site suggests that I use 1500. This disconnects me from games. I haven't had the time to play much recently, but am hoping that 1452 works as it does not appear to affect my download speed. I think the site has the correct optimum setting, but the router is crud.
To correctly determine your optimum MTU do the following:

Go to Start and select Run. 
Type in cmd (Windows 2000/XP) or command (Windows 98/ME) into the Open: field. Hit the enter key or click OK

Then ping a site ( ping ww.flyordie.com fl 1500 ) for example.

Keep reducing the value until you get no packet fragmentation. Once you have that, add 28 to the number, and set your MTU to that value

The usual values are: 1500 1462 1440 1400

Again, 1472 is good by this method, but I disconnect with 1500 as a setting.

That's good information though Veriac, it will come in use for something else I am working on.
What is that sign,,just before the 1500 in the brackets ?

its not f1,fI,fi,f|,,,,,,,

cmd is telling me its a bad parameter :(.

Me thick,or what ?
Peter, its:

ping www.flyordie.com -f -l xxxx

(xxxx=the test number)
>Does this mean I'm still thick :O

YES :D

Does this help...

ping[space]www.flyordie.com[space]-f[space]-l[space]xxxx[enter]
[img=
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/743/caught3nw9.jpg
]

This must be why ALL my posts are not getting thru either,,,eh .
>This must be why ALL my posts are not getting thru either,,,eh .

I doubt it Peter. It looks as fod have put up a firewall blocking pings. That certainly wasn't the case a few days ago. Take the point where the message changes as the useful mark.
Hehehe,

A was beeeeing Sarcastic Beppe.

Tanks for yer help anywayz.

;)