call pockets...
Posted in 
Billiards
call pockets...
Posted in 
Billiards
call pockets...
Well...I'm bringing up the same old issue again...:p
Since the first time i posted in this forum i have been asking from flyordie to imply the call pockets rule.That was like two and a half years ago,but no such rule exists yet.

I dont understand the reasons that keep FoD from implying this rule.Maybe they are afraid of losing players in case the flukers decide that the new rule doesnt suit them.
However,the quality of the players would get better,the whole crying and whining about flukes in the lobby and the forums would stop and ,for the pointhunters among us, the ratings would appeal to the reality more.

Afterall,this is an official 8ball rule,used worldwide and not some pubpool rule that i invented.

>Afterall,this is an official 8ball rule,used worldwide and not some pubpool rule that i invented.

Actually, not quite. 8 ball rules do NOT require shots to be nominated AS STANDARD. They do however list OPTIONAL rules for call shot games.
are u sure about that m8:s?
because i m pretty sure that when i checked the rules from the international pool association they included calling the pockets...
anyway i m not so sure now that u mention it,maybe i didnt read them carefully enough..?:s
I miss you Beppe, you're the oracle of all things flyordie :)

The meister B-)
Just a question about the rule.

if you call a pocket and you pot the black in another one is that an automatic loss? thanks :)
hi billardman21 nice to c u around
Okay, here are the relevant rules from the Billiards Congress of America, who set the rules for the game available on FoD: (NOTE THAT CALL SHOT GAMES ARE FOR EVERY BALL, NOT JUST THE 8)

3.4 CALLING SHOTS
For games of call-shot a player may shoot any ball he chooses, but before he shoots, must designate the called ball and called pocket. He need not indicate any detail such as kisses, caroms, combinations, or cushions (all of which are legal). “Any additionally pocketed ball(s) on a legal stroke is counted in the shooter’s favor.” 

4.2 CALL SHOT
In Call Shot, obvious balls and pockets do not have to be indicated. It is the opponent’s right to ask which ball and pocket if he is unsure of the shot. Bank shots and combination shots are not considered obvious, and care should be taken in calling both the object ball and the intended pocket. When calling the shot, it is never necessary to indicate details such as the number of cushions, banks, kisses, caroms, etc. Any balls pocketed on a foul remain pocketed, regardless of whether they belong to the shooter or the opponent. The opening break is not a “called shot.” Any player performing a break shot in 8-Ball may continue to shoot so long as any object ball is legally pocketed on the break.

It's not obvious, but if a player fails to hit the designated pocket in a call shot game it is NOT a foul shot. It is declared an "illegally potted ball", which just means that the person does not continue at the table.

4.13 SCORING
A player is entitled to continue shooting until 
failing to legally pocket a ball of his group
. After a player has legally pocketed all of his group of balls, he shoots to pocket the 8-ball.

If the 8-ball is potted illegally pocketed, it is a LOSS OF GAME:

4.20 LOSS OF GAME
A player loses the game by committing any of the following infractions:  
1.         Fouls when pocketing the 8-ball (exception: see 8-Ball Pocketed On The
            Break).
2.         Pockets the 8-ball on the same stroke as the last of his group of balls. 
3.         Jumps the 8-ball off the table at any time.  
Pockets the 8-ball in a pocket other than the one designated
5.         Pockets the 8-ball when it is not the legal object ball.

ahh thanks for that Beppe ;) 

another question :p what's a "carom" ?
Ty beppe, it's like having servants :p im feeling lazy today
hey watford m8:)(Y)

Ty beppe for the rules,they are in total agreement with what i knew.
So now that everything is clear,do u agree ppl with the rule being implemented by fod in 8ball or not?
Don't see why not if it makes the game more realistic, which is what FOD bases it's self on. Not hard to do, either you have to go into 2d mode and click a pocket, or press a certain key for different pockets.

Maybe if that was to be introduced however, the shot time may need to be increased slightly to allow players to make that decision ;)
Honestly I think that calling pockets for all shots would be a pain in the royal drainpipe, but I do accept that it would deal with the fluking aspect of the game.