« Back to All Topics
Why is this game so addicting??
Over the course of the last 6 months or so that I have been playing Larkinor, I have come to realize I am not the only one terribly addicted to this game.  

I pose the question:  WHY IS THIS GAME SO ADDICTING!?!?!

I find myself sitting here, just clicking my mouse, doing the exact same thing over and over.  After a few days of clicking a whole lot, I level up, and can face a few new monsters.  20 minutes later of clicking I have seen every new monster, and know which ones I can or can not kill.  I am pretty much done with the king's missions, yet for some reason I keep coming back for more CLICKING!

This post is intedned to be a light-hearted look-at-yourself and laugh statement.  Feel free to comment.

GOAT
lol think thats what we all want to know :p
just for the record: i have been playing for 11 months:p

jess[url=
http://imageshack.us
][img=
http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/7089/butterfly8sb.gif
]
/url]
"larki addict" 
Perhaps its the concept of an RPG that wraps people around its finger and bends them to its will.
Ill have been playing for a full year in two days.
Lol me im not addicted :p
i've gone past that stage im obsessed (excuss any spelling mistake)

ria :p slightly obsessed for a year and 3 months :p
Why is this game so addicting? (a light-hearted answer)

Ever hear of obsessive compulsive disorder? OCD is a mental disorder that sometimes includes feeling compelled to do the same thing over and over and over.  So, it might not be that the game is so addictive, it may just be 
YOU
 ! 

LOL
... but don't get concerned... there's a little OCD in all of us, I think.  (Some more than others!)  Ask yourself if you're addicted to anything else... cigarettes, food, M&Ms, washing your hands repeatedly  until you're sure all the germs are gone.... checking to see if the doors are locked 22 times each evening before going to bed.... clicking a mouse over and over to complete the same task...  well, if you've got an addictive personality at all, you know what I mean.  ;)

As long as the game doesn't stop us from getting up from the computer and going to work regularly enough to keep our jobs or from saying hello to our spouses on a fairly regular basis, it probably isn't a real problem. It my even help us cope with the daily anxiety we encounter.  Familiar, repetitive tasks are soothing to a lot of people. And besides, if the clicking has proven to produce the same results time after time, well... it stops us from making any new mistakes, doesn't it?.  :)

Ways to know that playing the game has become something to be concerned about:

You look up from your keyboard and find....

....that the year is 2008 when you thought it was 2006.

....The pile of newspapers on the front step is so high that you can't get the front door open.

....Your salt and pepper shaker collection has mushroomed in size and taken over the kitchen so completely that you can no longer use the appliances.  Starving or ordering out are your only options.

....the baby crying in the background is not on TV as you had originally thought but an actual infant that belongs to your 15 year old daughter.

....The cat and dog have packed up and moved to the neighbor's house because that's who feeds them regularly.

....Your spouse has moved with them.

Oh... and about those M&Ms... after you’ve them lined them up and arranged them  by color, do you eat the odd ones left over so that each color contains the same number of M&Ms?  Just Wondering.  :D

So if you've decided by now that you just may be an OCDer, don't feel alone.  There are lots of us out here:
•	Donny Osmond 
•	Howard Hughes
•	Howie Mandel 
•	Roseanne Barr
•	Marc Summers 
•	Howard Stern
•	Billy Bob Thornton 
•	Hans Christian Andersen
•	Florence Nightingale 
•	Woody Allen
•	Charles Darwin 

And more Mensans than I can count.

(Disclaimer: A serious word:  Though this was a light hearted look at being "sort of" obsessive compulsive in a world that sometimes rewards and sometimes punishes the behavior, please know that it can be a serious disorder.  I certainly didn't write this to offend anyone with the disorder or who has friends, family, loved ones or acquaintances with it. So don't write me back and cuss me out.  Please.  I have all the compassion in the world for anyone who is afflicted.... with anything...ever.  Having a sense of humor is ultimately what saves us.)

And...yes, it is treatable with medication or therapy.
But then, who would be responsible for sorting and color categorizing those M&Ms?

Smiles, :)  :D  ;)
Zuni

>Starving or ordering out are your only options.

:O That's me. :( I can't cook and I always get pizza, Burger King, or Wendy's. :p
i'm not addicted i can quit anytime i want.  (3years later)
I second this.  My little streak of OCD comes in handy in this game, that's for sure.

Oh, and FYI, I wouldn't dare eat my M&M's in such a ridiculous fashion.  After sorting them by colour, I eat the piles from smallest to largest... in groups of six.

If only I were joking...

Sandy
Adding to my post,
Who would want to play a game that you can't get addicted to?
>As long as the game doesn't stop us from getting up from the computer and going to work regularly enough to keep our jobs
or for others... switching windows from larki to work-related things (or even closing larki for 20 minutes while the boss is around)

>if the clicking has proven to produce the same results time after time
hope you're not talking about carpal tunnel syndrome :p

>....that the year is 2008 when you thought it was 2006.
it's 2008 already?  i was sure we just entered 2006 a few months ago!

>Starving or ordering out are your only options.
you could technically include that growth that's taking over your kitchen as another option... but i guess you may have included that in the "starvation" category

>Oh... and about those M&Ms... after you’ve them lined them up and arranged them by color, do you eat the odd ones left over so that each color contains the same number of M&Ms?
yes... is there something wrong with that? :p  and not just m&m's... any candy or anything else that comes in multiple colours.

--jason
Addicted?  Who is addicted?  I olny play for 10 minutes a day...ish.  

Oh, and by the way, I don't color coordinate my M&M's.  I do it with skittles.  Did you know that a red and a purple skittle together taste like crunch berries?

TeT
What are you people, crazy?  Making little piles of M&Ms?  Color coding Skittles? 

I thought every one knew that Gumi Bears were the ultimate when it comes to sorting, catagorizing and grouping candy by color.  If you haven't counted, sorted and arranged Gumi Bears, you haven't truely obsessed. 

You can buy them by the five pound bag at Costco. (And they're fat free!) 

I'm just curious, but with M&Ms or Skittles, how can you get personally involved with your sorting?  They don't have faces or cute little smiles. Of course, that probably makes it easier when it comes time to eat them.  At least you don't have to listen to their tiny screams right before you bite their heads off. And that leaves you free from having to cope with the stigma of being a mass murderer, too.

Hmmmmmmmmm. Maybe I'll buy M&Ms next time.  No faces may be a good thing. 

Gummi bears.. what you're supposed to do is bite the head off of one and the body off another and make little Frankenstein's monsters.. you're really good when you can start combining limbs...

Wow.. I though I was the only one who color-coded my candy... I wonder if anyone has done a study related to online gaming and candy sorting.
How silly--sorting candy by color. Candy is for eating. Don't you know it's clothes and shoes you sort by color. First all the white blouses, then all the red blouses, then all the purple blouses....then all the tan slacks, then all the blue slacks, then all the black slacks....and so on. 

Oh and books, you know--not by color but by genre and within genre alphabetical by author and then alphabetical by title.

On the other had--my office is a total disaster with everything stacked on my desk, on the floor, on chairs, on top of (but almost never inside of) file cabinets. LOL--I guess there's always room for improvement.

alpie

iam no sure who u r calling noob?
Maybe we should have Larki Anonymous meetings....I did suggest this in chat a few months ago.

Recognizing the closeness of Alcholics Anonymous and 
Larki Anonymous,

...Twinkie...
Can't shake the image of holding a Larkinor Anonymous meeting in Larkinor chat!  About the same as holding an AA meeting in a bar!

Sandy