« Back to All Topics
Character harrassment
Character harrassment
Character harrassment
I have been attacked 50 - 100 times in the last month by players who are 10 or more levels stronger than I am.  These players seem to think that they have some game given right to dictate how I play my character and whether or not I should be allowed to play at all. 

I have paid my subscription to be here, and I have the same right to play my character as anyone else.  If something can't be done about upper-lever characters harrassing new characters, then it is only a matter of time until people realize that they are wasting their time and money trying to play Larkinor Quest.

I could understand these attacks if the players had something to gain, but they only earn 1 fame point for killing a character so much weaker than themselves and they gain, at most, a few thousand experience points.  My characters routinely kill monsters worth 12,000 points, so there can be no real value to a level 30+ character killing me.  

Additionally, high level thieves hangout around the central square and snipe silver and valuables.  Again, weaker characters have no recourse except to endure this constant harrasment.  There should be some mechanism to either protect characters from attackers who are immune to retaliation or there should be a penalty for such attacks that imposes the same kind of penalties on the attackers as they impose on the weaker characters.

My opinion is that everyone who is being harrassed by these kind of players should boycott the subscriptions and the advertisers until something is done about the few arrogant players who are ruining the game for everyone else.
Ruining the game for everyone else? It is PART of the game. If you don't like it you should not have subscribed?

You whine about being attacked by players 10+ levels higher than yourself, but if you are on God-Mode, then you take on the risk, and is thus YOUR fault for them being able to attack you in the first place.

My thief is level 19, i personally steal from YOU every chance that i get, along with EVERY OTHER PLAYER THAT I CAN. Stop whinning and play the game or quit.
I don't mind players that take some risk stealing from me.  I have a character that is also a thief, but I don't steal from players that can't retaliate.  

The risk that I take in setting my character to God mode is that the game is more challenging.  I shouldn't have to put up with the sort of juveniles that believe that they have the right to harrass players of whom they don't approve.

The "whining" remark is too juvenile to be worth discussing.
Also, the impact of my remarks is not for players like yourself who have no appreciation for competition. My remarks are for players and perspective players who would have enjoyed the game and the challenge of the game if it were not infected by players like yourself.

Ultimately, players like yourself who have no sense of balance or appropriate behavior have destroyed many enyoyable web-based activities.  I would hate to see Larkinor Quest to fall victim to the lowest common denominator, but the question of whether or not it will is out of my hands.
Simple solution, dont hang around cc on god mode. If you like to hunt monsters on god, fine, but switch back to shy once you enter cc. Pvps are approved in larkinor and is not a harrassment, except on certain terms. Read the Terms of Service. Same thing goes for stealing off other characters. Anyone else you wish to discuss, you may speak to the mods and see what they think.
Listen geoc, I agree with you on this sort of thing. It just bites to be hunted down by other players who you couldn't possibly defend yourself against. But face it - there are people out there who do just that. Even I can't help attack a lower-level player a time here or there. Just stay off of god mode when around those kinds of players.
ooooooooooooook....

Harassing? To be harassing you, thieves would have to be deliberately targeting you...Don't think so, frankly I and most thieves dont take the time or energy to click your character and see "who" you are, if you've got a green cash sign beside your name I'll click it first, ask questions...or actually notice who you are...later. 

So you've payed your sub, congrats and welcome to larkinor...but anyone thats stolen from you has also payed to play. If they hadnt..they couldnt steal from you. They paid to play the game within the confines of the rules, same as you did, so if they build a thief character, theyre gonna use it. The fact that XP is halved after reaching a rank of 200, and we gain no % towards out next rank UNLESS we steal from players, means thieves are ALWAYS going to be in the CC...its the wateringhole of the Larkinor savanagh...everyone has to pass through eventually.
Now I DO agree with you that if a particular thief is chasing JUST you around larkinor that DOES constitute harrassment, and would need dealing with. But if this is confined to the CC and market, sorry but youre fair game.

Iplay covered the getting attacked point amply I think...its just a risk you take playing on godmode...try lowering your rank when you need to visit the CC and just stay on god when fighting monsters.

And while on the topic of Iplay....hey "stop whining or quit"??? - not helpful. Debate the points made if you want. But sweeping remarks like that really only serve to fuel the "arrogant players" personna Geoc was refering to.

Cinder.

(Rant over)
I also am lower ranked, and I get stolen from by higher level players repeatedly.  But I choose to go to CC.  The only thing there that I cannot find elsewhere is the palace.  It is well known that the risk is much higher in CC, and if you still choose to go, that it a risk you are obviously willing to take.  Also, to go on God mode, again, a risk you are taking.  Upper level players do not atack you for the famepoints, they do it because you are the one who is being arrogant, being on god mode.  You cannot choose how others play, as you said so yourself.....

"These players seem to think that they have some game given right to dictate how I play my character and whether or not I should be allowed to play at all."

You seem to want it both ways in that you wish to choose how others play, but not to have your playing changed in any way to accomodate anyone else. This is not only unlikely, but also hypocritical.   

Next, you say you have a thief but that you dont steal from anyone ranked lower than yourself.  That again, is a choice you make.  There are rules and standards in place already, no one may steal from anyone less than level 12, or 15 if on shy mode.  

Recap: 
1.) DONT go to CC if you dont want to get stolen from.
2.) DONT go on god mode if you dont want to fight.
3.) DONT expect others to make the same choices you do.
4.) DONT take it personally...no one is out to get you....or they werent before at least.  
5.) DO play to have fun.

Well, I feel better....TeT
well, i was reading the original post and thought "this looks like fun... i can't wait to reply to it".  then i saw all the replies, to see that most of what i was going to say was covered already.  oh well, as you probably noticed already, i'm replying.  so, sit back and get comfy.

>50 - 100 times in the last month
so that's 2-3 times a day... i'd say for playing only on god-mode, consider yourself lucky.  you should probably be getting attacked closer to 5 times a day.

>by players who are 10 or more levels stronger
i could be mistaken, but i believe even on god-mode, the limit is 10 levels.  so if a lvl 20, on god-mode, could only be attacked by someone lvl 30 or lower.  so even though it seems they may be more than 10 lvl's higher, it is likely 10 or less.  of course, if you steal from someone more than 10 lvl's above you, they can attack you, but i'll talk about that later.

>these players seem to think that they have some game given right to dictate how i play
regardless of how much you get stolen from, or attacked, no one can dictate how you play, but you alone.  yes, even if you were getting harassed (which by what you said i don't think you are), it's still not dictating how you play.  that's your choice.

>i have paid my subscription to be here, and i have the same right to play my character as anyone else
i am not a subscriber, but i have the same right to play as you or anyone else.  subscribing doesn't give you any more right to play... it only gives you more features.

>upper-level characteres harrassing new characters
at times, this may be true.  but if you came in chat for a few hours, you'd find exactly the opposite.  for the most part, upper-lvl char's "harrass" char's around their own lvl, because they know them well... but i say "harrass" because it's all done in fun, and we know it's part of the game, to steal, rob, and attack others.

>wasting their time and money
well, wasting time, definitely.  but even those not being "harrassed" are wasting time... after all, isn't that one of the main objects behind any game... online games especially?  to let people have fun, and pass the time.  as for wasting money, no one forced you to subscribe.  i waste my time quite well without spending any money.

>they only earn 1 fame point for killing a character
1 fame is more than enough for most people to attack someone on god-mode.  even though fame counts for nothing in the game, it's still just that... fame.  the experience isn't really worth it, but the fame is just for fun.  i admit, i do it often.  i'll attack someone 5 or 8 lvl's lower just to get 1 fame and tell them in pvp chat "this is what happens when you rank as god".  like others have said... it's part of the game.

>high level thieves hangout around the central square
someone explained that after lvl 200 stealing, thieves get no % towards their stealing lvl except by stealing from other people... drop-down stealing no longer counts for almost anything.  and why run all around larki looking for potential victims, when plenty of char's will always come to city centre?  thieves save many clicks by just staying there.  and yes, you can do almost everything in larki without entering city centre, since all buildings except the palace are found elsewhere.  so only to accept and report for missions, or buy a new house, do you need city centre.  having said that, i almost never use any other building except city centre.  i'm only lvl 32-35 (high compared to you, low compared to many, many others), and many who steal from me i can never win a fight against.  yet almost every time i have to sell stuff, i sell in city centre, knowing full-well what i'm risking.  if i lose something valuable, the thief is often in chat, and i can ask for it back, and most honourable thieves will give it back.  that being said, you mentioned you only steal from people who can fight back and have a chance.  first of all, that's unrealistic.  if you think about it, wouldn't a thief prefer to get someone who can't fight back?  this game isn't entirely about ethics, but more about getting ahead (as much as i don't fully like that).  second, if you waste the time to check every char's lvl before you try to steal, you've wasted so much time that they're probably gone already when you click.  for a thief, green symbol = steal, regardless of lvl.

>mechanism to either protect characters from attackers ... or ... penalty for such attacks
such attacks are part of the game, and have been for the over two years the game has been around.  and some people are still around who have been playing for more than two years.  these attacks will not cause the game to end, because people realize they are part of the game, and live with the benefits/concequences of them.

>boycott the subscriptions and the advertisers
this is not only unrealistic, i don't even know how it would be possible.  after all, you've subscribed, and i don't believe there's any way to get your money back.

>the few arrogant players who are ruining the game for everyone else
i don't mean this to be taken personally, but the attitude you've given makes you seem like an arrogant player, and what you are trying to say is to ruin the game of people who have been around larki a long time.  please reconsider the way you think about this game, read up on this post and a bunch of other ones (i suggest searching the forum for "ethics of fighting"... there was a big discussion on this about a month ago on fighting people who play on god-mode), and then come back and enjoy the game the way it was designed, programmed, and meant to be played.  yes, there's stuff i don't like about how it works, but i live with it, and strive to move on, and enjoy my time playing.

well, i've put in my two cents now... or maybe quite a bit more than two cents.  i anticipate your response, geoc, but please inform yourself by reading carefully and preferably even reading other similar posts first.  your opinion seems to be a minority in larki, which is why when we play this way, the game doesn't get ruined, it is enjoyed.

--jason
Ahmen......is all i have to say...ill put in my say tommrow.:D:D

"
Said like a true Larkinorian" :D
*Waits eagerly for jason's next reply*
apparently i forgot to reply to your second and third posts, geoc.  so i'll add a bit more to that essay... novel... encyclopedia... whatever you want to call it.

>i don't mind players that take some risk stealing from me
any time anyone tries to steal, they take a risk... there's always the risk they you'll countersteal something back instead.  so, by that statement, you don't mind if anyone tries to steal from you.

>i have a character that is also a thief, but i don't steal from players that can't retaliate
i think i covered this in my last post... waste of time and clicks on your part, and thieving is part of the game... which never claimed to be morally right.

>god mode ... game is more challenging
i actually find the game more challenging when not on god-mode.  part of the challenge is to find the right rank for each character, to make him the most profitable (silvers or experience... whatever you prefer) as possible... which will include fights, walking, stealing, etc.  and if you get annoyed by all the fights, then god mode isn't necessarily the best choice for you.

>shouldn't have to put up with the sort of juveniles that believe that they have the right to harrass players of whom they don't approve
it has been said... i'll repeat it.  just because you're stolen from doesn't mean you're not approved.  everyone gets stolen from at one point or another.  also, please don't call people names, and juveniles counts as name-calling in my books.

>the impact of my remarks is not for players like yourself who have no appreciation for competition
whoever this was in reply to... they have appreciation for competition, which is why they posted a reply.  and in case you can't tell by the length of my replies, i enjoy competition as well... just ask most people who are often found in chat.

>i would hate to see Larkinor Quest to fall victim to the lowest common denominator, but the question of whether or not it will is out of my hands
larkinor quest will not fall victim to thieves, pvp fighters, or anything similar.  those characters make the game thrive.  it makes the game much more fun and interesting than simply fighting all the time.  and even though i can't steal from others, i enjoy that others can, even though it bugs me sometimes.  it livens up the game... keeps you on your toes.

--jason (again, putting in his two cents... or a bit more)

>Now I DO agree with you that if a particular thief is chasing JUST you around larkinor that DOES constitute harrassment, and would need dealing with. But if this is confined to the CC and market, sorry but youre fair game.

i dont think that constitutes harassment
he is another side of the issue that some people either never thought about or ignore on purpose what about the harassment of thieves themselves and not the people that get stolen from. Every week there is someone eiter in chat or forums that are calling out a thief, calling them everything from a cheat to a liar to alot worse. How can this not be harassment, thieves are playing a game in which there is a character type called a thief. Iam a thief (lvl224) and i wont stop these posts only encourage me more :)
Oh no, monty was following me! i feel so 
harassed

maybe 
I
 should make a post about it as well!
Looks like Geoc has been possessed by the same spirit as Jaird was a few weeks ago, aaaaaaah :p

Two Quick Responses - :

Fighting; don't go on God mode if you don't want to risk it, it's the flip side of seeing more monsters - you'll see more of us to. If you're on God again I may feel the need to remind you of this again. 

Thieving; it's part of the game I see to suffer worst than most as I carry many nicer goodies for the likes of Kit and Braves. I've lost nubs, putty, alien gadgets, dragongrass, hearts, crests etc - its part of the game. If you ask though they will either repost it at 50% or may even fight you to get it back. In exceptional circumstances i.e. if building they may give you free passage.

Arrogant Players; very few of the higher levels are "arrogant" and it you come into chat they will give you a fair chance. After only a few weeks "chatting" I feel I've made many "friends", I do not generally make friends with arrogant people - you do the maths. The only thing threatening the game is noobs who come in demanding the earth, swearing, flooding and destroying the game for those who enjoy it.

Subscribing; the game is available for free, you're payment of money only gives you beneifts. You should not expect to deprive others of what they have paid for - stealing etc. You knew the game when you subscribed, in doing so you accepted the way the game is played - many pay just to rob/steal, live with it.

Best Wishes playing the game, hope to see you in chat. Everyone is welcome, we do not harrass.

KmS :)

I know my "two" turned into "four", but you know what they say - once you pop you just can't stop.
All Right Jason,  I will check out "ethics of fighting".  I seriously doubt, but I could be wrong, that the conclusion of the discussion justified the kind of behavior that I received.  During the worst episode, I was attacked at least six time consequetively by characters who were hitting me with more damage per round than my character had hit points, and each of them included an obnoxious message and a threat.

Also, I can avoid City Center.  I have been focusing more on character development than on mastering the nuances of Larkinor's layout.  But, there is value in your strategy.  

But, the number of and the nature of most of the responses to my post,which is less that 12 hours old, prove my basic point.  LQ is burdened with a population of players who have little respect for others and play their characters in a way that seriously detracts from the enjoyment of others.  New and prospective players to the game are faced with a level of harrasment that is costing the business money.  If I had experienced this level of harrasment while I was playing on the advertisement support provisions, I would have left the game.  LQ, as a business,  would have lost the revenue of my subscription and the revenue of advertiser support.  Larkinor Quest will not survive as an economic entity if it becomes overburdened with players who routinely thump on characters who can never thump back.  

Finally, I am cheap and a very good player.  I have a six month subscription.  I will just keep a list and eventually I will be able to beat most of these inferior players.  When I do, I will begin the "Puny Supplicants" post.  When I earn the 50 - 100 famepoints that accrue to the character who actually defeated a worthy opponent, I will post these message.  

Thanks for your information and the time it took to respond in detail.  

Geoc (naught-iii)

>Finally, I am cheap and a very good player. I have a six month subscription. I will just keep a list and eventually I will be able to beat most of these inferior players.

wouldnt that be picking on people weaker then you?
>>> "burdened with a population of players who have little respect for others and play their characters in a way that seriously detracts from the enjoyment of others"

Nothing like a nice broad sweeping generalisation. You should try and meet us, come into chat to see quite how much respect people give others (e.g. provision of ingredients at 50% to enable people to get as much as possible out of playing). 
But, the number of and the nature of most of the responses to my post,which is less that 12 hours old, prove my basic point. LQ is burdened with a population of players who have little respect for others and play their characters in a way that seriously detracts from the enjoyment of others. 

-> Proves your basic point? You're calling all of us who responded to your topic disrespectful and we basically "take the fun out of the game"?  My advice would be to try giving the HELP or TOUR options a go and see what the game is like through the MAKERS' description. 

New and prospective players to the game are faced with a level of harrasment that is costing the business money.

-> I will admit that I too was harassed a little when I started, in and out of the chatroom. However, I believe that what is "costing the business money" would be players that take the game too seriously and let emotions get into it. It is a game, and it is meant to be enjoyed. If you are not enjoying it, and think that we are playing the game unfairly and intentionally picking you out, (which we're not, stealing is part of the game) then you paid for a game you do not like.

-> As to you saying that my calling this "whinning" is juvenile? Here, i'll put it blatantly for you to understand.. pick a word! any word! ; 
Ascribe, bellyache, bemoan, bewail, criticize, denounce, deplore, deprecate,  disapprove, dissent, expostulate,  fret, fuss, gainsay, grieve, gripe, groan, grouse, growl, grumble, impute, indict, lament, lay, look askance, moan, nag, object, oppose, protest, refute, remonstrate, repine, reproach, snivel, sound off, wail, whimper, yammer. 

(yes, i DID use dictionary.com), but i'm SURE you get my meaning.

I wouldn't mind responding to a topic that actually meant something. And i'm betting that the rest of the larkinor players that are active on FoD forums would be glad to help out if someone was genuinely being harassed, and/or something was done wrong by them. Not players constantly complaining about things that are 
PART OF THE GAME

Roar, Didn't beat Jason. =[. I don't have your elaboration skills hehe.
I propose we start TADL (Thief Anti-Defamation League)
We need protection, we will no longer put up with being 2nd class citizens and objects of abuse.

I am a Thief. Hath not a Thief eyes? Hath not a Theif hands,organs,dimensions,senses,affections,passions? fed with  the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases,healed by the same means, warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a non thief is? If you prick us do we not bleed? f you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that. If a Thief wrong a non thief what is his humility? Revenge. If a non theif wrong a Thief what should his sufferance be by non thief example? Why, revenge. The villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction.

Shylock, Scene 1 - nice use of literary text Monty

geoc - methinks thou dost protest too much...many players have posted here to attempt to give you guidance from their expereince - if you wish to have revenge and build some formidable characters - more power to you, good luck - as with the items you felt were targeted just at you...that too is part of the game......
i personally enjoy this game.  Not just when i get to say 'DIE WEAKLING' during pvp, but when i get smoked in pvp, or stole from.  this attacks give me a reason to strive for a player that one day can seek vengence on those who once attacked me.  That is how this game is played.

I have notices in the forum that the regulars on lark are all honerable and helpful (unless its a redundant noob question).  When it is brought to the groups attention that a player is stalking people purposely or violating agrrements that do exist, we all take the time to seek vengence on that player on the behalf of the victim just as long as its a legitament complaint.  many players are here that will go as far as to build you items that you may be unable to make and to sell the item to you for cost, maybe even at a loss for themselves.  They are good people.  

I work security and just got promoted to site supervisor over a new site and my wife had our baby girl on valentines day so i  wont be able to play as much and as regular as i used to.    I have played numerous online rpg games and lark by far is the best.  you get to interact with other characters, it changes everyday and you never know what is going to happen.  Larkinor IS my escape from the stress of the real world and when i get beaten and robbed, i laugh it off and go on.  It is a game and at the end of my clicks, thats it, game over for the day and no hard feelings from what has transpired over the course of a day in lark
As someone above has said, take these posts from all of us as advice.  You seem like a decent and intelligent enough person, and it's always nice when we add that type of person to the pool of dedicated players.

Realize that the Larkinor world is cut-throat by design.  It's dirty, surreal, disfigured and deadly.  You seem to be on the border of acceptance of this, so just give in to it and try the game out on it's own terms.  Steal, rob and murder... or die trying.

You may want to consider that only a couple existing subscribers are making similar complaints.  What makes you think that all the other existing subscribers would be okay with changing the game in the way you are suggesting?  Consider that in appeasing those of your opinion, the game makers may very well alienate dozens of long-term subscribers bringing about the very extinction of the game that you are predicting.

Having already paid your money, you'll certainly have a lot more fun if you accept the game for what it is and get on board with the rest of us.

Sandy

>I seriously doubt, but I could be wrong, that the conclusion of the discussion justified the kind of behavior that I received
the point of that discussion was to see whether or not it's acceptable to fight someone who's on god-mode.  most people agree it is, including many who fight on god-mode.  there were a few who didn't.

>I was attacked at least six time consequetively by characters who were hitting me with more damage per round than my character had hit points
that's normal if you fight on god-mode.  enjoy.

>each of them included an obnoxious message and a threat
obnoxious message... that happens.  threat... that's unacceptable.  if someone does threaten you in pvp, take a screen shot, and send it in to the moderators (there's a locked post about how to do that and who to send it to... i think it's called "when a mod's not present").

>the number of and the nature of most of the responses to my post,which is less that 12 hours old, prove my basic point
the number of and the nature of most of the responses show me that the vast majority of larki char's disagree with you and want to let you know how we feel.  and the vast majority of larki char's are the ones that keep the game running.  if one person left because they didn't like it, the game would move on.  if everyone left who didn't agree with your post left, there would be serious repercussions.

>LQ is burdened with a population of players who have little respect for others and play their characters in a way that seriously detracts from the enjoyment of others
i think sandy (callum3) sums this up fairly well... "Realize that the Larkinor world is cut-throat by design. It's dirty, surreal, disfigured and deadly."  the only thing is that, even though many play dirty (because that's how the game is intended to be... by including thievery and robbing as part of the game), we, the majority, still respect everyone... yes, i said everyone... until they give us a reason to not respect them.

>If I had experienced this level of harrasment while I was playing on the advertisement support provisions, I would have left the game
i experienced it all the time as well when i was lower lvl, and i persisted because i wanted to strive.  i didn't do it because i was bitter, but just so i could say i persevered.  many people quit because the game is "too complicated" or "not as fun as 3-d games" or "annoying"... the persistant ones continue, which is what makes the game a good community because it's healthy, enjoyable, mostly respectful competition as a break from the real world.

>I am cheap and a very good player.
you think highly of your player, though i'd bet you could improve if you came in chat and talked with people, if you're willing.  not all will respect you after all you've said, but i know some would.  i would still be willing to help, and learn from anything you may have to share.

>I will just keep a list and eventually I will be able to beat most of these inferior players.
seems hypocrytical, because it's exactly what you said you didn't want to happen.  the only thing is, if you're keeping a list of people you don't like, in 6 months you may be up to lvl 30 or 40, but by then most people you don't like will be above lvl 40 already.  i wish you good luck surpassing people you don't like, because they will continue to advance, just as youare.

>Thanks for your information and the time it took to respond in detail.
you're welcome... glad you appreciate it.  i see great potential in you to join the "inner crowd" if you so desire... as i said, not everyone will accept you, but i'm sure some will.  you seem to be one who would be able to provide enjoyable competition.  come into chat and hang out for a while.

now to reply to a few other posts... just because my encyclopedia isn't done yet.

>I wouldn't mind responding to a topic that actually meant something. by iplaylarkinor
iplay, i've just lost a little respect for you.  sorry, but that was rude.  this is geoc's opinion, and a forum is a place to post your opinion.  yes, it was out of line with the majority of char's, but it was an opinion.  if most of these replies can help him/her see that larki isn't a morally pure game, then it was good that the post originally occured.

>I propose we start TADL (Thief Anti-Defamation League)
We need protection, we will no longer put up with being 2nd class citizens and objects of abuse.  by monty (monsegur)
even though i'm not a subscriber, and cannot steal from others, i would be willing to help protect.  i'm not an extremely high lvl, but i'd help... even though it bugs me when i'm stolen from, it's part of the game.  i know you were kinda joking with the post, but it's got a point to it.

that's it... i await your reply, geoc, and anyone else who has stuff to say here.
--jason

geoc...have you checked out the Large steals, Countersteals and robberies posts? There are many people who are hit repeatedly. The complaining about it that is done is nearly all lighthearted because most of us admire and respect the players who had the dedication to work at it enough to be Able to steal or rob so much:D I even keep special treats in my house for the high level robbers, and occassionally visit CC with large amounts of expensive items just to give them a chance for a good steal. and 90% of the time i let them keep it. although there are a few who have gotten something i really needed, which upon asking i was given back;) for instance the 200k+ one player grabbed out of my pack on a bank run once...or the 600k+ cinder got out of my diggers house (he's famous for those robs...i hope to match that some day)

Then there's the famepoints post...it's just plain fun usually...just last night there was someone in Chat deliberately running around on God just to get thumped:D

I'm sorry you don't enjoy those parts of the game, but there are obviously parts you do enjoy. I used to hate the thiefs and the robbers. but hey, if you can't beat em...

I do hope you join us in chat some day:) you seem like a pretty intelligent fellow...I think you'd fit in well

Lusha

I never could keep my opinions to myself
Last point before I bail on this topic.

First, to those of you who responded thank you. I will leave you to figure out what role you played in my machinations.  

I am a professional in business and an entreprenuer.  This is a bit of "due diligence" as I work through a marketing plan.  I will share the premise since it is percolating through the investment side of the tech world anyway.  The demographic of the online world has been changing since access to the web became common about a decade ago.  For a variety of reasons, the early web population was not especially sophisticated though they were often surprisingly well educated or at least surprisingly well self taught.  The current and rising demographic is much better situated financially and expects a much higher level of sophistication in social interactions. 

The sum of this idea set is that the time has come that a well developed marketing plan can significantly increase revenues for web-based entertainments and interacctions by providing an environment in which an increasingly affluent and educated demographic can participate in activities without being harrassed by what were once called "flamers".  This demographic is not only able and willing to pay higher subscription fees, but also offers an avenue to a significantly broader range of advertisment based revenues.  

In short, while my remarks may strike, obviously do strike, many of my respondents as ridiculous, normal economic pressures will soon work to make the views expressed by people like me the prevailing attitudes of public access, profit driven entities like Larkinor Quest.  

If anyone doesn't understand what economic forces are at work or how those forces will be able to affect an entity like Larkinor Quest, Adam Smith is still a good read.  

Anyway, I'll be around.  Enjoy killing me while you can.  
Geoc (naught - iii)
if you are a business man why do you take so much stuff personally...i call your pluff i dont belive u
Geoc you sound like you hate everybody in Larkinor. I myself am a very hard earned robber/thief/mage/fighter and I never steal or rob. I search for mints :p and I haven't visited your house. So quit (insert word here) about everything and everyone.

...Twinkie...
here i am again...

>Last point before I bail on this topic.
so as long as you keep bringing up points, i will keep replying.  and if you do stop replying, that's fine, but i'm sure there'll continue to be stuff said that you will want to reply to.

>I am a professional in business and an entreprenuer.
congratulations.  should we think higher or lower of you for this?  i don't mean to be rude, but what did you want to accomplish by saying this?  i'm a student, still in university, but i don't go publish this (ok, i kinda just did by saying it on forum... oh well).  yes, some people i know in chat know this, but that's it.

>the early web population was not especially sophisticated though they were often surprisingly well educated or at least surprisingly well self taught. The current and rising demographic is much better situated financially and expects a much higher level of sophistication in social interactions.
many of the upper lvl's in larki are quite sophisticated, in some form or another.  i've had some very intelligent discussions with some in chat.  so i hope you're not saying that what you've experienced tells you we're "lesser" of some form.

>normal economic pressures will soon work to make the views expressed by people like me the prevailing attitudes of public access, profit driven entities like Larkinor Quest.
your view will soon become the prevailing attitude of larki?  not if everyone who thinks like you can't stand it and wants to leave instead.  the only thing is, there aren't many that think that way.  as for larki being there for the business of people wanting a sophisticated, proper game site (i don't really know how else to put it)... that's not its purpose i don't believe.  it's meant to be a game of thievery and robbing... as many have said already.  it's meant to have immoral stuff in it.  if we wanted a pure game, we'd go look elsewhere.  and again... the vast majority of us don't harrass new players.

>If anyone doesn't understand what economic forces are at work or how those forces will be able to affect an entity like Larkinor Quest, Adam Smith is still a good read. 
we don't particularly care about the money behind the game.  if they keep getting advertisers and subscribers, the game will likely keep going.  and most people don't stay for the game itself... if people wanted a true game for a game... they'd go elsewhere.  i'll be one of the first to admit, there's not a ton offered by larki, but i love the game nonetheless.  most of us stay for the community, which we enjoy (for the most part).  the game is an added benefit, to click inbetween developping friendships.

so, i encourage you to either join our crowd (but i warn you... you get it as it is.  it will not change to become how you want it), or enjoy the game alone.  either way... a game is for fun.  and i hope you don't harrassed anymore, because that's just not encouraged.

--jason (continuing his encyclopedia... sorry, this one's not as long)
oops... forgot to mention one thing.

>Enjoy killing me while you can.
ok, please don't try to be too full of yourself.  i found your char's on the toplists, and i looked at their stats.  i've been around longer than you, and i'm a numbers guy, and i've talked lots of numbers about larki and character stats with many who have been around longer than i have.  so i say this as an educated statement - most char's who are higher lvl will likely stay above you, if they're built fairly well.  your char's have a lot of wasted points, and will not lvl as fast as better-built char's.

--jason
Ok, I have two points to make....well, I'll start at two and see where it goes.

1.)  
"This is a bit of "due diligence" as I work through a marketing plan. I will share the premise since it is percolating through the investment side of the tech world anyway."

You aren't here to have fun, you are here as part of a reaserch design.  Therefore, your veiws and opinions are somewhat biased.

2.)  
"The demographic of the online world has been changing since access to the web became common about a decade ago."

This is true, the demographic has changed.  But what you neglected to mention, is that it includes both more affluent and well educated people, and those who are just now being able to afford a computer and the internet.  So yes, there are more people online now who are able and willing to pay high subscription fees.  But there are also those who are here who are young, struggling financially, or uneducated.

3.)  
"The current and rising demographic is much better situated financially and expects a much higher level of sophistication in social interactions."

While there are many who expect higher levels of sophistication, most people who play Larkinor play as an escape from the real life we deal with on a daily basis.   The ability to steal, rob, and fight other people, is not only fun, but stress reducing as well.

4.)  
"The sum of this idea set is that the time has come that a well developed marketing plan can significantly increase revenues for web-based entertainments and interacctions by providing an environment in which an increasingly affluent and educated demographic can participate in activities without being harrassed by what were once called "flamers"."

Good luck to you.  And I mean that.   

5.) 
 "normal economic pressures will soon work to make the views expressed by people like me the prevailing attitudes of public access"

I disagree.  I think that it is more likely that it shall be decided by those who wish for a place to have fun and let all the issues of the day flow away.  Educated and affluent is wonderful...but by no means is it a majority.

6.)  Numerous times now you have been invited into chat to discuss this.  You are obviously around, as you continue to respond, however, you have declined the invitation.  This is dissapointing.  It would be intellectually stimulating if you would grace us with your presence, as well as informative to all involved.

Well, so much for two points eh?  I tried.

Again, good luck to you in all your endeavors....TeT

hehe... thought of something else.

>normal economic pressures will soon work to make the views expressed by people like me the prevailing attitudes of public access
for some games (which i will not mention here, because that's not allowed), this may be true.  for games where competition and excellence in gaming is strived, your train of thought may prevail.  larki is different, in my eyes (and likely others') as well.  other games may allow for economic pressures to be a major influence.  larki has a community... mostly a welcoming community, that helps influence how things happen.  and i believe it will continue that way.

--jason (not sure if i actually got across what i wanted to say there... there may end up being another post if my brain starts working again later...)
Mont. -  Excellent prose!  Geoc - I have never seen a good fantasy game that did not have thieves.  And I have never seen a good thief that ever tried to be nice.  Thieves are SUPPOSED to pick on people.  They are SUPPOSED to take advantage of people.  That is their nature.  Fighters are SUPPOSED to beat people up.  I used to get stolen from and smacked around so much I still have empty pockets and bruises.  Just eat your green vegetables and someday you too will be big and strong!!!  And then they will still beat you up and steal from you!

P.S.  Where have you been Tea Leaf, you dirty...oops I mean amazingly clean little thief.
Jason, let's see if what YOU say makes sense after staying up all night, lol. I was simply trying to get the point across that players keep complaining about things that are part of the game. 
Geoc--

Everything you say is true, but--as all good marketing people know--one product cannot be all things to all people.  Larki targets a certain group of people, and targets them very well. We are all addicted to the game. There are other products for people who want other things and this is as it should be. Successful Japanes companies target extremely small segments of the market and they do it very well, to the extent that one product can ca[ture nearly the entire segment and freeze out competitors. If your marketing efforts are aimed at being all things to all people, then I fear it is doomed to mediocrity.

alpie (prefers not to be accused of being unsophisticated)
Alpie, I totally agree with what you have said!  There is no doubt that we Larkies are addicted and prefer not to meddle with the dosage. :)
On another note--Hey Diablo, I found you last week and clicked on you 5 times. Nada. What have you done, put a padlock on your backpack? I'm a thief, for heaven's sake, not a safecracker!!  Check my stats (Thanks in part to geoc)hehe..I'm stealing almost 201. HAH! :D

Tea Leaf
WOW, I had not idea we had so many verbose people in Larki!
I am a robber and proud of it!
There are times I feel a twinge of guilt when I hit some people's homes, but that soon passes and I am my self again.  I have been known to return some goodies on request and have even offered to do so.
This is a part of the game and when I get thumped in return I just laugh and move on to the next house.  
It is all part of the game.
Kisses,
HotOldLady
coming to a home near you!
When I first started, I got really upset with people stealing and robbing from me.  So what did I do?  I developed my character's skills and started doing it to other people!  I have two other characters who I do not train very often in the robbing or stealing aspect of the game.  That's why there are choices you have of what skills to develop and how to use your distributable points.  A lot of thieves aren't as strong in fighting, and vice versa.  
You've picked a very odd place to spend time on your "research", geoc.  There are PLENTY of mature and intellectual website communities out there, but I can't imagine ANY of them being online gaming sites.  Without a doubt in my mind, online gaming attracts pretty much the WORST of all internet users.

If I may toot my own horn, the membership community of one of my own sites (
http://twistypuzzles.com)
 is certainly among the highest average IQ's on the net.  Pretty much everyone there was THE geek at their school back in the 1980's who could solve everyone else's scrambled up Rubik's Cubes without moving stickers around!  That community has been growing strong for a number of years now, and none of them have to pay a dime for it.

Truly productive and stimulating web communities are out there.  A pay-site that would help guarantee a more mature audience has the potential to work... but not for online gaming!  Why on earth are you here?  You're either full of bull or you're off your rocker.

Sandy

for once sandy i agree with you
hmmm...can't decide if i ought to be offended or not sandy:s but i like ya so i don't care:p

Lusha;)
Quit ruining the game for everbody man.It is just a part of the game!
> hmmm...can't decide if i ought to be offended or not sandy:s but i like ya so i don't care

Hey, don't forget that I'm in this boat too!  I can't decide if I ought to be offended by my remarks either!

All I meant is that gaming tends to be the first thing most teens seek out when mom and dad finally get them their own computer complete with internet access.  As a result, pretty much every online game I have ever played has had a community that was not worth participating in because of the dominance of the "lowest common denominator".  Flame wars seem to be the only thing these people are interested in.

In Larkinor, I believe the strength of the game is almost equivalent to the strength of the community resources, primarily the forum.  In spite of this belief, there have been a number of times when I have been ready to give up on this forum due to the sudden prevalence of the lowest common denominator.  Thankfully we are a small community and we tend to get breaks between the appearances of pinheads.

Sandy

first i think it is unfair to group ppl by "intelligent" or whatever you said geo. Ages on here rage from 8 to 80 literally. Some ppl have more live experience, education or whatever then others but we all contribute something to this game. 

May every man be by superior so that i may learn from him.
1st do you even play larkinor 2nd if so read help
No I don't play larkinor, and why can't you just tell me...
well ill try to be nice to you just this one God Mode is a setting you can go on for further information read help or go back to pool or whatever u play
Last week, I caught myself smiling after having my backpack raided.  The thief had gotten away with four bird feathers.  They were part of the booty I regularly carry for thieves…. light weight, inexpensive objects that will usually get stolen from my pack before any of the good stuff goes. Feathers are easy and inexpensive to replace and you can carry a bunch of them before it interferes with your weight capacity.  There are some other items that work just as well, but since research is your forte, I’ll leave you to find them out for yourself.  The strategy is sound, so I thought I’d share with you.  It may make you feel a little less vulnerable … as if you have at least a little something to say about what gets stolen from you when it does happen.  

Anyway, after that particular backpack hit, I was smiling too, because the thief is a good friend of mine… someone I talk to daily in chat.  It was fun to picture him running away from City Center with a measley 4 bird feathers clutched tightly in his sweaty little hand.  I had no compunction to chase after him.  (I already know where he lives!)  Besides, I was carrying the feathers  for him and his fellow thieves, anyway.    It’s a way to get one-up on them, even if you can’t run after them and thump them a good one because they’re a higher level than you.  When thieves steal feathers or other nearly worthless item from me I feel like I’m the one who came out on top in the interaction.  Now they have to waste clicks running from me, going to the market to sell their "prize" (four feathers for a total of 8 silvers!) or stashing them at home. And it’s one more steal that they’ve used up for practically no gain when they could have hit somebody else for something that was worth while.  After a time thieves get to know who you are and what you carry and tend to stay away from citizens that don’t pay off for them.  I hardly ever get my backpack hit by a thief anymore, because they know what they’ll find. 

As for my friend stealing out of my backpack... it felt to me like  one of those playful punches in the arm that we all give and get from our friends occaisionally, and I'm sure if he could have left a message it would have been a big, happy, "HI! How are ya!? :D"   Perception is everything.

Now, you may be asking... what I was doing walking through City Center where the thieves congregate, in the first place?  The answer is…. It’s another strategy of mine.   I have a character who is a level 154 Robber.   When my back pack is stolen from, I’m given an automatic bead on the thief…. The game tells me exactly where “the evil person” is and all I have to do is follow him home…and when he leaves again, I can try to rob his house.  I love this kind of irony.  It’s so much more fun for me than just robbing houses randomly. And I always get more goodies robbing his house then he gets robbing my back pack.  

This game has many possibilities and levels of strategy…. Ones which I’m not sure you’ve fully explored.  It takes a while to come upon them or some study to figure it out.  But if there’s a way for a thief to steal from you and a way for a robber to rob your house, then there is a way for you to foil them and come out on top.  That’s one of the fun aspects of the game…
Check and check mate.

The most important thing to remember is… this is just a game.  The silver(or the weapons or the gems or other items) stolen from you was  not  
real
  and you and your real-life-family are not actually going to go hungry or come to harm because of it's loss.  The silver  only exists within the realm of the game, our minds and our imaginations.  The only thing that can actually be impacted by the things that happen in this game is our own self esteem, and that’s only if we let it happen.  One adjustment of attitude and the way we look at and react to what happens in Larkinor is all it takes to turn a negative experience into a positive one. Playing can be really fun, but it can also deliver some lesions in life and answer those questions we’ve always hesitated to ask about ourselves… to see who we really are and how we operate in the world. There are often startling parallels between how we play the game and how we live our lives for real . Luckily, there is also a multitude of chances to change what we see in ourselves if we think it might serve us better or make us happier people.

I hope you stay with Larkinor Quest long enough to find all it’s nuances.  Maybe you'll end up learning a little more about yourself and your fellow players along the way.  I hope one day you’ll come into chat and get to know us.  It’s much harder to feel at odds with and critical of friends than it is strangers. 

Smiles, :) :D
Zuni 

>Now they have to waste clicks running from me, going to the market to sell their "prize" (four feathers for a total of 8 silvers!) or stashing them at home. And it’s one more steal that they’ve used up for practically no gain when they could have hit somebody else for something that was worth while. After a time thieves get to know who you are and what you carry and tend to stay away from citizens that don’t pay off for them. I hardly ever get my backpack hit by a thief anymore, because they know what they’ll find.
there are some thieves that steal for money, in which case your arguement holds water.  but i know many thieves who only steal for stealing lvl's... in which case you can throw your arguement out the window.  these thieves rarely run from you, and will take the beating if they get it... it's no big deal.  to them, a steal is a steal... and it doesn't matter what they get.  after all, if they get better stuff it's probably from a tougher char who will send them home, and it'll take a few clicks to get back to cc.  if they get 2 rations, the person won't likely fight back... but they got some % to their stealing lvl in the fewest clicks possible, which is ideal to some thieves.  it's all about perspective.
--jason
why would it matter jason if you steal for money,items or exp thieves are part of the game like it or leave it either one dont wine like a 13 yr old school girl
>why would it matter jason if you steal for money,items or exp thieves are part of the game like it or leave it either one dont wine like a 13 yr old school girl

are you accusing me of whining like a 13 yr old school girl?  i was simply providing another alternative school of thought to what zuni mentioned.  i have no complaints about thieves at all... ok, i do, but i accept that they're part of the game and live with them.

--jason
your a school girl maybe not 13 maybe 15 but thats semantics lol jk jason i like you
Thank you Jason, for adding a new perspective.   I don't have a high level thief that steals from backpacks so it's not a thing I know much about from the thief's point of view.  And since I'm more concerned with my own perception of the Larki experience, I didn't take into account the need for some thieves to steal in order to level.  It's a good thing to understand and remember, so thanks for the input. If I ever get a thief to that level I’m sure my perspective will change, and how I perceive my Larki experience may change along with it.  

But at this moment, if a thief has gotten away with only a few of my feathers, whatever he gains from it is not important to me.  I really don't care if he gets a percentage of his stealing level or a percentage of the moon.  That's his experience, not mine.... and it's my experience and my perception of that experience that I'm interested in.    So, for me.... at this time, it's still all about perception.

In Las Vegas, the most popular chant is "Location, Location, Location!"  Depending on who you are and what you do, those three words could be replaced with many others... perception, perspective or position....
;)  Take your pick... or add your own.  Only you (and maybe a close friend or two) know what's most important to you at any particular time.  So pick your words carefully... change them often… and... enjoy ! 

Smiles,  :)  :)  :) 
Zuni

I've gotta agree with Jason.  My Trader chararacter has 200+ levels in stealing, and I'd MUCH rather have 10 small steals than 1 big one.  I can definitely see how getting a couple of huge steals would change this perspective, but I'm not lucky/persistent enough to have been rewarded with a REAL big steal yet.

I only bother storing or selling the obviously valuable or useful items I steal (TA potions, for example).  I tend to just keep all the miscellaneous stuff on my person so the next person to get revenge via the PvP has a chance to collect it and therefore balance my karma!

The money made as a thief is irrelevant because there is so little of it to be made.  Frankly, the stealing rank XP is pretty irrelevant as well because of the massive number of clicks it takes to increase your level and the fact that there seems to be no noticable difference between levels after 200 anyhow.

Sandy

Zuni,

Great post!  You're right; I had not spent enough time in game to notice the patterns of what was stolen.  I had leaped to the conclusion that the items stolen were a function of the level of the thief.  That assumption was fundamental to my conclusion that high level thieves were a detriment to the game when they stole from low level players.   

On the question of why I don't attend chat, I simply loath the chat rooms.  They feel like bar rooms to me and I haven't been in a bar in 20 years because the channel of communication is choked with static.  While the static in barrooms and chat rooms is qualitatively different, the affect of the static in both venues is quantitatively similar.  I love good conversation, and I am happy to engage in a dialogue with the LQ population or any member thereof in the forums.  But, I can't stomach trying to have a discussion on a throttled channel.  I'm sorry; my failure to join the chats is not a comment on anyone who has invited me. 

I appreciate the people who took the trouble to respond to my post.  I gained quite a bit of information.  The Geoc characters will be returning to play sometime in the next week.  (I have been playing a different character set during this discussion.)  In deference to the strong, though I still believe mistaken, preferences of a significant percentage of the community, I will turn Geoc's mode down to formidable.  

Thanks again for your input and God bless,
Geoc (naught - iii)
Greetings Callum3,

It is precisely the paradox which you describe that makes this class of game attractive from a development perspective.  The class is underdeveloped because other classes of game permitted an easier entre to the demographics that we are targeting. The characters in this class interact in ways that mimic specific aspects of the "real world"  and make this style of game very suitable for certain kinds of problems.  My research is focused on developing strategies for maximizing the "real world" feel of the game and permitting a broader range of interactions within the game.  

LQ is well suited for the research because we have no intention of instituting an element of our plan that would directly compete with LQ.  Thus, we are able to engage the game and the community in ways that would be either unethical or unwise in a venue closer to our specific target.  

>On the question of why I don't attend chat, I simply loath the chat rooms. They feel like bar rooms to me... I love good conversation, and I am happy to engage in a dialogue with the LQ population or any member thereof in the forums.
this one definitely doesn't feel like a bar room.  i've been to many games' chat rooms, and this is 
by far
 the best.  there are enforced rules of decency and respect, and those who don't obey are punished with a demerit from the moderators.

>But, I can't stomach trying to have a discussion on a throttled channel.
i'll admit, there are times that larki chat is crowded, sometimes with 3 or 4 new players at a time asking pointless questions that are answered in the help files.  but the majority of the time, larki chat is a flood-free, respectable, helpful, friendly place to chat while playing the game.  so i say again, feel free to come into chat some time and enjoy the company of your fellow larkinorians.

--jason
>well ill try to be nice to you just this one God Mode is a setting you can go on for further information read help or go back to pool or whatever u play

Thats what you call being nice is it Mont? Sure you dont have some sort of attitude problem? 

>>>why would it matter jason if you steal for money,items or exp thieves are part of the game like it or leave it either one dont wine like a 13 yr old school girl

Maybe you should just grow up? And yea i play pool, and im a dam site better at it than you are at Larkinor, all I asked is a question, if your too retarded to answer just say so.
that will result in a ban ty and have a nice day 
>And yea i play pool, and im a dam site better at it than you are at Larkinor

thats like saying iam good at basketball and your good at hockey, but ur better then me. that makes about as much sense as i would expect from you.
>that makes about as much sense as i would expect from you

Oh? And how do you know me? How did what I say deserve a ban? I'm not sure...but as far as I can see I didnt break the rules once, and as for lecturing me, it might be useful to learn how to use some punctuation first.
>as far as I can see I didnt break the rules once
you swore, and you talked about other games in larkinor forum (though i'm not sure if that second one counts, because i believe it's an fod game).

>as for lecturing me, it might be useful to learn how to use some punctuation first.
the one you are arguing is one of the most intelligent players i have chatted with in larki.  he's very knowledgeable in both larkinor (being one of the top players in the more advanced hungarian version of this game, and being very high in the english version here), and in life (having multiple degrees and having experienced a lot more in life so far than most do their entire life).  i respect him for who he is, and even if he may not have been polite as you wanted in one or two replies in the forum, that's the way life goes.  he didn't stoop to swear in a forum post like you did.

--jason
Retard is not a swear word, it may have became associated with negative connotations, but it is still allowed on this site. Even if you wished to call it a swear word I used it in its correct place. 

And to Mont, I looked on Larkinor help but couldn't find God mode there, so my question still stands. What is God mode?
God mode is a rank you can go on it has various effects. you will encounter more monsters, but also be vunerable to other people's attacks.
swear word... starts with a d... you spelt it wrong, which is why it was let through filter.  check the first post on second page of this thread.
--jason
and btw it is in help under  contents, inventory and other properties trying reading it ;)
Thank you Mont, appologies if I offended you.

Jason I didn't understand what you said there...
apology accept i also apologize if i came off sounding mean.
I just wanted to know, because I've always wondered what Larkinor actually is.
come in sometime and check it out or you can do a tour from the login page
I was searching for info on a subscriber question but I have to ask is this guy for real? The whole point of the game is to work your way up in status and develop your player for a certain task. 

The idea we should have MORE rules is crazy. The checks and balances that are in place already (read game and player imposed) are enough.

If a level up player steals from me I check their stats and determine if I want my stuff back that badly. If a level down player steals my stuff I get it back. That is if I can catch them. If not I might keep them on my "evil person" list. I might just go after them later just for the heck of it. When "Tea Leaf" stole from me it seemed daily I kept saying someday....then when she tried to steal from me and my character stole back It was great. I didnt hate "Tea Leaf" for what she did I respected her (you're still my hero Tea). Being able to do the same to her and other characters is my goal. The point is it's the same for my fighter character. If someone steals from that one I'm way more likely to try to get the stuff back. I think the original poster should ask themselves what it is they are trying to acomplish? If you want a character that cant be stolen from you better develop one. This game is just like life...not always fair. Welcome to the game and welcome to life. I bet he took his ball home when he was a kid too.
>If you tickle us, do we not laugh?

Oh PULEEZE!!!
Someone follow up on this and name a theif Elmo!!

Sorry, this just hit me funny.
:D
quotes: The risk that I take in setting my character to God mode is that the game is more challenging

if you dont like it tuff cookies, take your name off god mode, if you dont want that stop crying
Yeah it can hurt when a bigger player specifically comes after you, but those who say its part of the game actually have a point.  I've gotten pretty good at robbing, yet bigger players whose houses I've gotten into made their feelings clear at the point of a sword, so to speak. Pretty much a fair trade if you think about it. Now if I see the same name appearing around me more than on a coincidence level I hightail it until they can't find me anymore.  Fair rule is not to trust any player's name that is levels above you.  I honestly don't like to hang around people who are the same level as me if I'm not in the mood to be challenged. if you leave your arrow on a players name for a few seconds you will actually be told how many levels above or below you they are. In case you didn't know. 

Honestly I say let the bigger level thieves hang around the center square. I'm getting better and better and robbing, which is opening up more of Larkinor for me to steal from. We can just call it even.  :)