« Back to All Topics
Re:  Firestarters
Posted in 
Tanx
Posted in 
Tanx
I just wish people would stop setting me on fire for the low points people to kill.  That in itself is unfair.  

I refuse to shoot at no points people if, there are points people in the room.  I can't afford to have low points people kill me.  I lose too much.  This may be shocking to the non-subscribers.  Because, most of the best players have subscribed.  If you are a non-subscriber, you just don't get the challenge of playing some of the best.  Because, they won't shoot at you.

I make it a point to play non-subscribers.  Maybe, do a little first 10 kills.  However, when someone with points jump in.  I go after those tanks.  It's a reflex to preserve my rank.  That's why i paid my $20.  I don't mind playing non-subscribers, all i ask, is leave me alone when points people jump in.

Then there are those firestarters that follow me from room to room.  Is the unfair?  I think so.  Why did i pay $20 to be set on fire for others to kill?

FOD should make non-subscriber kills worth points for the subscribers.  Then, i would be shooting at anything that moves.

This is just my thoughts.  Please don't bash me too hard.

fast_yz400 WG
Uh.. I think there'd be more of a problem if a moderator did kill Point Barons.
lol.
Are we getting anywhere?
I would like to read some construtive ideas.

it appears not...

topics like this one 
makes one wish that
ratings were discontinued
completely in TANX....

now that would be a 
level playing field
would'nt it ?:|

[img=
http://virtualsolarsystem.com/mercury/webwizard/newsig.png
]
I don't know why FOD can't give everyone points, including privates. I think this would make the game fun again, and would sort a lot of the problems out.
What do these subscribers want for their $20 ?
more terain's, no adds or pop ups, subsciber only tournerments and a brown tank is plenty. At the moment there are two differnt games going on, and it's not working. Untill FOD sort this out i won't be subscribeing.

ya know this issue is a red herring..........Hound is right..the desert is a subscriber only room and its a blast.....I had a brief subscription and played there a bit....if some folks want to avoid the firestarters (what a great idea) go play in the sand......oh yeah, no non subs for suicide in the sandbox.......funny stuff.....
Just to set the record staight fast_yz, Robinhood is NOT CTANK and CTANK in NOT Robinhood as you keep suggesting. Sorry you're so consumed by me bro, because I'm really not lurking in the shadows waiting to attack you like you think! My job here at FOD is to promote "friendship", not running around trying to ruin your reputation... lol (still cracks me up...) 
So chill for a while fast. Sit back, take a pill if need be, put your feet up and wait for the swelling in your ankles to go down, and you'll be fine...

canTANKerous :D

P.S.
and leave Robinhood alone, ok. He's really a great guy once you get to know him...

I truly believe that everything is relative now.

It seems that they have found a way to offset those who would do a mad-grab for powerups.
Firestarters are blessing and a curse I believe.  FAST and others make a good case about some muting of their impact or even thier elimination.  However, I think the impetus for their existance in the first place needs examining.  Firestarters came with the subscription..lol..they r almost exclusively bought and paid for by banker/jumper/opportunist subscribers....ah you know what...I'm creating a NEW TERM for these people - GAS BAGS.  GAS BAGS is the new name for all those SUBS who routinely INFLATE their score/rank by JUMPING.  BANKING. SHARING POINTS. HUNTING those SUBs with low points and weak skills.  GAS BAGS.  I'd call em GAS TANKS but that would imply they have a thick skin.  They don't. They're scores pop like a paper bag filled with hot air when anybody with decent skills engages them.  ANYWAY...the GAS BAGS really piss people off and so the FIRESTARTERS materialized to exact revenge.  NOW its mutated and been employed by many for more devious purposes.  THE REAL PROBLEM is the GASBAGS.  MAXXIMUS, SNAKEDADDY, UNDEFEATED..these guys all claim to NOT BANK.  COME ON!  Maybe they're all the same person but there r others and i've beaten all these guys with relative ease.  I'm good but I'm NOT great...NO WAY these clowns rack up 500+ 700, 900 and more points playing ANYBODY whose EARNED over 200 points.  I DO have a subscription and NO i'm NOT telling u the nic...lol
Okay.. I apparently opened this can of worms, so I'll reply here. Getting tired of repeating myself, so I'll just reply to each point...

I just wish people would stop setting me on fire for the low points people to kill. That in itself is unfair.

>>>> You continue to say that fire-starting is unfair or wrong, but your reasons are immaterial, in my opinion. 

I refuse to shoot at no points people if, there are points people in the room. I can't afford to have low points people kill me. I lose too much. This may be shocking to the non-subscribers. Because, most of the best players have subscribed. If you are a non-subscriber, you just don't get the challenge of playing some of the best. Because, they won't shoot at you.

>>>> We’re sick of the refuse, fast. How much is “too much” to lose? The amount lost when you are shot by another tanker? That’s how much you’re losing when you’re caught by a fire-starter... it’s a consequence of being caught off-guard. It’s the same consequence you take advantage of when you force unsubscribed tankers to kill you for health and ammo. The health and ammo disadvantages the other ranked tankers in the room, and keeps your precious rating... this has gone on for awhile now, and is accepted as common practice. I wonder though, if it’s accepted by those you kill after accepting death by unrated tanker? Or by anyone who isn’t a Point Baron (or Gass Tank). It ruins their games.

>>>>I find it odd that the excuse you used when caught banking by Cantankerous is now contradicted by your actions. You said that you were letting other tankers kill you to give points to the lower ranks, and made a scene (which I believe was to lure cantankerous into using vocabulary similar to your own at the time) after he made clear that this wasn’t acceptable, as a moderator. Now, you’re defending you’re exploitation of a loophole in the rules that keeps new and low-ranked tankers from earning points on an even playing field.

I make it a point to play non-subscribers. Maybe, do a little first 10 kills. However, when someone with points jump in. I go after those tanks. It's a reflex to preserve my rank. That's why i paid my $20. I don't mind playing non-subscribers, all i ask, is leave me alone when points people jump in.

Then there are those firestarters that follow me from room to room. Is the unfair? I think so. Why did i pay $20 to be set on fire for others to kill?

>>>> It’s a reflex that’s encouraging opportunistic play, and making the game less enjoyable for everyone but a select few (I can almost count them on two hands). You didn’t pay $20 for an untouchable tank, or a license to bank. You paid for the privileges and features that are included in your subscription package, nothing more. Fire-Starters following you are like ranked tankers that pursue other ranked tankers from op to op, it's disruptive, and should be discouraged... but in a way, it is also like jumper-hunting. Noble in its own way.

FOD should make non-subscriber kills worth points for the subscribers. Then, i would be shooting at anything that moves.

>>>> If you said that subscribers should also lose points when shot, it’d be an idea that restores balance to the game, and I’d agree. If this detail was left out, then things would still be unbalanced, and you’d still have your “reflex” to shoot those that would damage your inflated rating before anything else, but things would be ruined for ranked tankers too, because it would be just as easy to prey on weak unsubscribed tankers, and the rating system would be weakened further.

This is just my thoughts. Please don't bash me too hard.

>>>> Perhaps this sounded a little harsh from my end of things, but you’re point of view seems very self-serving, and doesn’t leave much room for attracting badly needed new tankers, or responsibility for the consequences of your own actions. And I do strongly disagree with the reasons you've given here for your feelings.

>>>>Earlier in chat you mentioned your opinion that leaving subscribed tankers afire amounted to banking on my part. After playing a while, and thinking on that, I realized the irony (well... almost irony... I just like the word, eh?) of your statement. You see... killing you when you present your tank to me for death artificially prevents you from losing points... just like jumping. Doing so would be almost exactly like helping you bank. 
>>>>How are we to get new tankers, if they face this kind of exploitation? I know it’s a big turn-off for me, and the main reason why I won’t subscribe (for the time being). I’d prefer to play against the more skilled players, but playing with a rank these days entails adopting a standard of exploitative opportunism, and it’s just no fun. 

>>>>I won't seek any of you out, but I'll be D^&m3d if I'll let you ruin my game anymore, or let you and those like you get away with it if it's in my capability to hinder you. 

Good Gaming,
~HoundFromH3ll~ 

Yes Hound, you are right about me banking previously from the CTANK incident.  However, that was to get a high score over 1000 points, so, i can give those to the low pointers, I usually average 300-500 points, even when i am playing people like max, snake, brock.  When i start going after newbies, i can inflate my score to over 800.  When was the last time you saw me up there?

However, having a high score is our right.  We are the people that paid to have rank.  Firestarter shouldn't be the judge that determine how high our scores can be.  Your opionions are directed to the non-subscribers, which in my feeling are a little self-centerd Hound, and how you don't appreciate the game because of us subscribers.  How about us, we dislike using our amo on the non-subscribers when other points people are in the room.  Is that a bad thing?  Not really.  Does it ruin the game for us sub-scribers?  Yes.  The thing that gets me is, we pop up and you guys start shooting till we are on fire and don't finish us off.  I agree, if we are looking for you to kill us, don't.  That is your right.  The only possible solution is to have all tank kills be worth points for the subscribers.    

You also mentioned, that kills should be the deciding factor.  However, this would be true in your case, because, you didn't subscribe and you have no rank or points.  Again, a little self-centered.  If your concern is kills, then the top players are usually up at the top in any opened op.  Even with firestarters in the room.

Hound, you were at least curtious enough the other day to leave the room when I stopped shooting at you.  Because, a newbie with no points entered the room.  I appreciate that, you could have followed me around and set me on fire.  But, you didn't.

If, others were like you, i would have nothing to say.  However, i am directing this at those who, follow people from room to room, and their main purpose is to seek you out and set you on fire.  You leave, they follow.

Stop being a cheap b@stard Hound, and pay your $20.  I garentee that the skilled people will start shooting.  That is, if you want a challenging game with some of the best.  I'm not talking about me.  i'm talking about snake, max & tali, they are not easy to kills, if you have some points or even a "0".  

I dont think the firestarters have a problem with me .Firstly they deserve to be treated with as much respect as anyone, so i will kill them and not deviate from that task until the job is done, even if a points player comes in the room .So what happens to me if a person is after my points when i am doing this task, they get them! is this fair to the points player! it is to them they won the duel .But what about me was it really fair, i dont mind ,what i do take notice of is the whining that is going on about "lost points" because the lack of respect for giving(the non points player)  the cold shoulder.What these points players want is for the non-points players to kill them, so they can keep there points and start afresh.What i do get joy doing is giving some people a full on game and at the end hearing, boy SPOOKY good game was trying to catch up to your win /loss ratio.Thanx to all you people who give me a good honest game .(Y)SPOOKY   
 Lastly how long do you think you can do this till SPOOKY says your not welcome in the game im in.Points are inmaterial,they do NOT show the true skill, and definitely show a persons lack of sportsman,and gamesmanship. 
I just hate those firestarters. There the worst. I hope fod does something about that. Because some guys are really getting good at this and there the next in line. I agree with Fast and taliban. Make our kills count fod. But then we have to worry about the privates!
The simple answer to this problem is to have a classic room for subscribers only.

Pointers like to play pointers, they don't want to play nonpointers.

I do see you point Yallquit,but the manners of some points players is low.If the point players want to play points players, why do the ops they opt for last 1 or 2 games and leave and then return so on.Or leave a battle and wait till you a walking insurance liability then come back.Respect for the others gaming experiences should be on the agenda.This is the reason people are NOT finding the game enjoyable anymore and opting im sure to play other sites .Man more people play Boulderbash than this garb.What happened to all the LOVE this site had.   
Oh lastly maybe TANX is the part of this site where all the crap flows to,man CHESS gets more players lol.
I SAY WE ALL NEVER GET ALONG SO YOU  KNOW WHAT IT''''.HELLO TO ALL TIGER DAT""<><> :":":
I'm tired of people writing so much !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ok, so i'm probably writing alot here, but i read faster then i write and i'm tired of some of this stuff.
ok, so far i read only the one fast started it with so dont blame me if i'm offtopic cause i'm a slow reader and tired of so much too read.  Fast, u should know me to be good and i'm not subscribed, or u would know it if u shoot me.  I've seen people with as many points as u be easier then, well i dont know what but they're easy!  Some subscribers are horrible, and its just no fair to keep non-subscribers from getting a fight. We want a fight! not people that go around and shooting only pointers, that makes u look even weaker.  i'm tired of people like MAX and u and i've had enough, so i do like the idea of classic room for subscribers.  BUT IF THERE ISN'T ONE, BANKING AND JUMPING WILL BE NO WORSE THEN NOT SHOOTING NON-POINTERS, and i'm plain tired of u greedy people, i dont care if i see a person with 1000 points, i only care if that person is good, i have not a clue what the heck u people care about points for, this is crazy and personally i beleive people like u just ruin the game.

signed,

The only

Tanx master

There already are subscription-only rooms. They aren't used. 

The problems need to be dealt with from their source: the lack of balance between ranked tankers and unranked ones when they are tossed together. 

Make kills and deaths have the same rewards and setbacks, as fast and maxi suggest. However... dying from unranked tankers needs to hurt too, otherwise things will continue to be unbalanced (even more unbalanced, actually), and there will be exploitation and bitterness, keeping the game sickly. 

To do this all that would be needed would be to give unranked tankers an undetectable rating, like they had before, only without them knowing it's there. It wouldn't be like subscribers' because they still faced all the disadvantages they did before... only now in a healthy arena. 

It would be easy to do, it would be in the best interest of paid subscribers, it would get more tankers in the game, and snowball to bring in more subscribers... etc. 

Why not?

Good gaming,
~Hound~

sorry TM... tried to make this one shorter (I'm trying to cover all the bases here...)
Also... if there's no opportunity of exploitation by ranked tankers... I'm pretty sure there'll be more action in the subscription-only rooms... voila! provided, yallquit.
the tanx experience

I think for a lot of people, the meaning of this game is to be the best.

The problem is that not everyone has the same criteria for who's the best.

For instance, I don't feel like i've had a real game unless I don't user powerups and get up on my opponents 10 kills, even if I start 10 down.

For others, the game is similar, in the fact that they are in pursuit of kills and not points.

Adding to that, there are others who feel the above, but think the point of the game is to get the most powerups, and take the advantage it gives you.  (ie grab speed then a powerup, rinse and repeat)

Then there are those who play for points, and use a stratedgy that gives them the most points.  Those stratedgies usually involve using non-intended game means to acquire points, and when they have the most points they feel like they are the best.

All of these different criteria for a "good" tanx player cause the ambiquity that we are all experience today in our questions:

1) What makes a good tanx game?

2) What makes a good tanx player?

I for one have chosen the first option above, to play without powerups for kills, because I feel it's the most fullfilling game.  Without powerups, it is always my skills against whatever tanx throws at me (lag, other people constnatly powering up etc)

I could never just enter a room, and only shoot at subscribed people.  I think that is the least fullfilling game.  What is the point of playing in that scenario, or are points the only point?  

I could never just enter a room, and continously grab powerups.  That's like working in a factory on an assembly line.  Where is the fun in such repetition?

I know no one will ever agree with what I think a real tanx game is, but I guess that's their problem.  I'm sure they enjoy the game in their own right, but I just don't see the point(s).

and yes.. I wrote this long pointless message for all of you with ADD.  I intend to cure you.

[img http&#58;//www28.brinkster.com/synister/tr/]
What, you want to see how many people agree with you, Thorn? You know as well as I do that there are lots.. myself included. 

Actually... I think those that know that the game's sick because of exploitation by a handfull of Point Barons are the vast majority of tankers. Almost all unsubscribed ones, at least (and the unsubscribed are the potential subscribed)

Powerup abuse is related to exploitation of the sort that this topic is about... but I think it's a seperate issue from the banking-related issues that are easily solved here (solution for powerups seems to be customizable ops... something that might happen later, but not anytime soon, by the sound of it)

SOMETHING'S GOTTA BE DONE... IT'S REALLY GOTTEN BAD.

TODAY I SAW TALIBAN FARCES, SNAKEDADDY/UNDEFEATED, AND PANCHOVILLA/MAXIIMUS TEAM UP ON ONE LOW-RANKED NEWBE TANK. THERE WERE TWO UNRATED TANKS THERE WHO THE TWO RANKED TANKS (WHO ALTERNATED OFTEN) WENT TO GET THEMSELVES KILLED, WITHOUT LOOSING POINTS... THEY RAISED A COUPLE HUNDRED POINTS EACH AT THIS PLAYER'S EXPENSE.

THE UNRANKED TANKS AND THE LOW RANKED TANK JUST WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME, BUT THIS IS JUST BANKING, ISN'T IT? IT'S TOTALLY MESSED UP. THERE WASN'T AN OP A RANKED TANK COULD GO TO WITHOUT BEING TREATED LIKE THIS BY THE THREE HIGH RANKED TANKS. 

WHY WOULD I WANT TO GET A SUBSCRIPTION TO A GAME WHERE THIS WAS THE ONLY AVAILABLE OPTION? :(
i agree... and i saw fast wg do the same thing
listen Robin Hood, I mean Ctank,  i will jump into the most challenging room avaliable with points.  I do not care if it's snakedaddy or a newbie.  If, you have points.  I'm there.  I prefer playing skilled players with points.  However, if there are none, then i play newbies.

I sometimes play skilled non-pointers just for the fun of it.  Ask funkee chicken or some of the BR's.  

Ctank, you will never ruine my reputation with my fellow tankers.  However, can't say the same about your reputation for abusing police power.  Maybe, one day you will police this site fairly.  Muting me from the site, didn't do any good for your reputation.  It only made it worse, in front of others.  And why mute me?  I did nothing wrong.  Everyone just un-muted me, the instance that you muted me.  Just made you look bad ctank.  and a moderator being a firestarter, what a joke.