« Back to All Topics
Your Rank
Your Rank
Your Rank
Does anyone really know what the "your rank" setting does in terms of the monsters you encounter?  I know you encounter higher level monsters on "god" than you do on "shy", but what is the actual difference between each of the six settings?

shy
harmless
average
tough
formidable
god

Sandy
 Sandy, all I know is that luck is the (only?) contributing factor.  i.e. more luck = more of a chance to run into a certain level of monsters, depending on your ranking.  I'm sure there is a lot more you wish to know about the peccadillos of ranking, but that is all I can give.
The difference is the %chance of finding monsters above your level.

Luck has NO effect on this.
Everytime I think I know something ---I don't.  IS the sky blue?
Only when its not overcast :p

Mr.Mad1X-(
I was hoping that it would be something simple, like a modifier to your level (eg: shy = level-1 up to god = level+4).  I'm working on a new tool for the website that could have made pretty good use of that sort of info.

Thanks for the replies.  

Sandy
Wait - what happened to "luck makes your rank specification more effective"?  I swear I heard something that that a while back.
I thought I had as well (see previous post), but when I looked for it again  (a few weeks ago--before the forum purge) I could not find it.  Of course, I am probably wrong about even seeing it previously.
I'd like to know exact differences myself.

So far, I can tell you that on 
'harmelss'
 you get monsters one level higher than on 'shy' and that you encounter less lower level monsters.

For eg.
if your char is lvl 15, you'd be able to encounter monsters level 20, one or two per level, and you won't find many 1-5 monsters. You'd find loadsa lvl 15 and higher mosnters too.

So if you're after leveling up faster, harmless is a good mode cuz you get many monsters with nice drops and loadsa xp.

Anybody knows about others for sure?
>negod 
>Everytime I think I know something ---I don't. IS the sky blue?
the sky is actually colourless.  after all, it is just air, going all the way to who-knows-where.  take a jar of air and find the colour.  and the higher you go from earth, the less air there is, and the more "space" there is.  the only reason it appears blue is because that is the hue of the visible light spectrum that refracts the most towards the earth, so light that would pass by the earth has colours refract once they hit the atmosphere, and the blue refracts downwards to us at the greatest angle.  well, now you know :p

>fluffycat 
>So far, I can tell you that on 'harmelss' you get monsters one level higher than on 'shy' and that you encounter less lower level monsters.
as veriac has already posted (and he does know), rank has nothing to do with what lvl monster you will see, but only the probablity that you will find a monster on a given level.

>if your char is lvl 15, you'd be able to encounter monsters level 20
the highest you can see fighting on mainland larkinor is lvl + 4, so a lvl 15 will never see a monster lvl 20 (unless fighting on t.a. or in a mission).

to elaborate... a lvl 15 on god-mode might meet lvl 19 monsters 5% (i'm going to asume numbers, since i don't know) of the time, lvl 18 monsters 7%, ... lvl 15 monsters 13% of the time, lvl 14 monsters 11% of the time, ... lvl 1 monsters 0.1% of the time.
a lvl 15 on average-mode might meet lvl 19 monsters 3% of the time, lvl 18 monsters 5%, ... lvl 15 monsters 12% of the time, ... lvl 1 monsters 0.3% of the time.
a lvl 15 on shy-mode might meet lvl 19 monsters 1% of the time, lvl 18 monsters 3%, ... lvl 15 monsters 10% of the time, ... lvl 1 monsters 0.5% of the time.
of course, these are just numbers to show my complete guesses.  but in general, any rank will see lvl + 4 monsters, but a character on shy will see them much less often than a character on god.

as for the actual statistice... sandy, you can either do a lot of tests, or just leave it at that.  my guess would be a normal distribution about lvl + 'n' for each rank, with it truncated above lvl + 4 and below lvl 1.  now, it could be a different type of standard distribution, or may not even be a standard type.  but for each, you'd have to find the mean and standard deviation for each rank on every lvl (or at least a large quantity of them, to see if a pattern emerges).

--jason (always loving a good chat with numbers ;))
>negod 
>Everytime I think I know something ---I don't. IS the sky blue?
>>the sky is actually colourless. after all, it is just air, going all the way to who-knows-where. take a jar of air and find the colour. and the higher you go from earth, the less air there is, and the more "space" there is. the only reason it appears blue is because that is the hue of the visible light spectrum that refracts the most towards the earth, so light that would pass by the earth has colours refract once they hit the atmosphere, and the blue refracts downwards to us at the greatest angle. well, now you know

No, you stated why the sky was blue, its the air that is colourless. If we call what is above us the sky, then what is above us appears blue, just as the grass appears green. The grass would be different if we saw in infra-red or using radio waves, so there is no correct colour, only what we can see. Therefore to us, the sky IS blue, and the grass IS green. 

Not trying to be pedantic, but as you already have been I felt it was ok. Anyhow, we can't have poor negod getting confused can we:p?
Jason, are you trying to suggest that ranks are given for no obvious reason in the game? What kind of intellignet person whould do that? If your theory is true, then there should be only 2 ranks, shy and god. With no effect amongst them. 

The question is the difference amongst the ranks. If you know the difference it makes in the game, please inform, and everything else is elaboration of nothing.

>No, you stated why the sky was blue, its the air that is colourless. If we call what is above us the sky, then what is above us appears blue, just as the grass appears green. The grass would be different if we saw in infra-red or using radio waves, so there is no correct colour, only what we can see. Therefore to us, the sky IS blue, and the grass IS green. 
ok, i guess it depends on how you define "the sky".  but to be technically correct, the (clear) sky "appears" blue during the day.

>Jason, are you trying to suggest that ranks are given for no obvious reason in the game? What kind of intellignet person whould do that? If your theory is true, then there should be only 2 ranks, shy and god. With no effect amongst them. 
>The question is the difference amongst the ranks. If you know the difference it makes in the game, please inform, and everything else is elaboration of nothing 
i'm not suggesting, i'm stating.  and veriac stated the same thing.  and you're saying there is no difference.  there is definitely a difference.  a char on god-mode will see lvl+4 monsters much more frequently than a char on shy-mode.  with respect to fighting, that's basically it.  (yes, there are differences with lvl+3 monsters, lvl+2, etc as well).

--jason
Jason--

I doubt if it would be a normal distribution, because that would have to result way to high a probability fo level+4 monsters in order to allow for very low level characters. I am guessing it is more likely to be some sort of left skewed distribution, like a reverse Poisson or something. Also, some monsters seem to be much shier than others (i.e., a lesser probablity of being encountered) so I am guessing that the monsters have some probabilities built into them.
ALl this means is that without access to the code or the programmer it would be almost impossible to figure out the exact relationships.

alpie
i was undr the impression that the togher your rank the more often you encountered monsters also.

as to how it affects monster levels i dont know, waht kinda test you lookin at sandy?
I'm not really doing anything along these lines.  The reason why I asked the original question in the thread-starter message was when I was building the Level Up tool for 
http://LarkinorGuide.com.
  I was thinking that I could show which new monsters would be available for each of the 6 ranks... which we now know to be impossible.

That said, it would be nice to know the true differences between the ranks so we would know what is the best rank to use to improve your chances of finding monsters on a particular level.  This would definitely come in handy when hunting for a particular monster.

Sandy

is it possible that rank only effects pvp attach capabilities?  
> is it possible that rank only effects pvp attach capabilities? 

Well, it is only anecdotal evidence, but I can see a clear difference with the level of monsters I see on God compared with Shy. Try it out yourself and see if you get more higher level monsters on God compared to Shy.

Perhaps if we had a large number of people keep track of the levels of monsters they see on various ranks, and plot a chart of those experiences over a long period of time, we might be able to see somewhat of what the distribution is. Otherwise this will probably remain in the anecdotal evidence category.