« Back to All Topics
Timeouts in snooker, 8-ball , 9-ball.
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards

Many players complain about the timeout in pool games...If you don't shoot in 1 minute you lose your turn AND the opponent gains four points. Many of us want to go to the kitchen or answer the phone, even to think which ball to pot. Players of flyordie reply to this message so we can change with our messages the time limit! After a few replies we will tell the admins to see that we ask to have the 1-minute-limit in pool to be changed and we will have as "evidence" this forum! Please reply.
I regularly answer the Phone, open the front door, and go to the toilet while on the site. I even manage to make coffee in between shots.

Occassionally i will time out, but not very often. Of course if im playing snooker, then 4 points rarely make much a difference to the game anyway :p

60 seconds is generally speaking more than enough time to play a single shot.

lol. But at least when the game is very close and there are for example two balls on the table you can have two minutes in case something happens.
Why do you people repeatedly try and change the rules? 

Do you see Professional 8-Ball players asking the referee to extend the the time out minute so that they can phone their mum or so they can go to the toilet? No you don't.

TOPIC LOCKED.

Bad memory me, d'oh!

you are wrong! the time limit must be put longer!
there gotta b a time out..cuz if dea wasnt den playas that r losin in snooka will jusss sit there till u leave and b unsportsmanlike
i didn't say the time limit to be cancelled completely! just to be put a litle longer!
Hows this. Dont chamge the time limit just dont give the opponent points. Give then ball from spot with option to pass.
Have a time limit set at the beginning of the game. MAke them agree on it, then play.
Oh my goodness.

Here are some suggestions then so that you 
DON'T
 time out:

- Make sure you have your mobile beside you at all times.
- Have a home phone at the desk where your computer is at.
- Go to the toilet 
BEFORE
 playing any games.
- Make a drink or snack 
BEFORE
 playing any games.

Simple...

Also, leave a note on your gate saying -

If you are a postman, milkman, relative or anyone who will knock on the door and disturb me, don't bother as I can't be bothered answering.

Then you will have no reason to leave and time out.
beleive it or not...when same rule apply to both players is called FAIR...and wot euan said is very correct, get ready to play b4 u start playin...1 min is more than enuff..in fact lets make it 45 secs

I think that snipe is correct. Lets keep the time limit where it is and just don't make the opponent have any points. Maybe this is the best solution.
Understand that a time-out is considered a foul. This isn't something FlyOrDie just made up. Saying that though, time-outs are only used in Professional 8-ball because it's less tactical than snooker and 9-ball. The time-out rule should never be changed. It's your own fault if you time-out.
Listen enghough has been said here stop being so shellfish and for a minute think about your oppent why should there time be wasted for you? Keep it the same FlyOrDie no problem here end of.

Thanks
Tony
i agree with tony 
   why SHOULD your oponents time b wasted 
I am kinda going both ways on this.

I think we should and should not keep timeouts.       To start with I think we should keep timeouts FOR SNOOKER  because you only lose 4 pts...WOOPTIE-DOO BAZZLE!:p                               Equally important, I think we should keep timeouts, but with magicians idea from a long time ago "  thnik we should make time outs 90 seconds rather than 60 and have two,and stilll equall two minutes".