« Back to All Topics
Computers and Deep Vein Thrombosis
Posted in 
Off-topic
Posted in 
Off-topic
Serious computer users have long had to put up with the comments that sitting too long at a monitor can damage your health and have laughed it off as non-technos who don't appreciate the finer points of the digital world or cyberspace. 

However, news just out suggests that maybe the harpies of doom have a point - and that too much time at your computer can kill you! 

Doctors are now saying that excessive hours sitting at your terminal can lead to fatal blood clots - the same thing as the potentially fatal Deep Vein Thrombosis, brought on by sitting in one position too long during lengthy plane flights. 

There have been several recent cases of people dying after spending 18 hours or more playing on a computer and DVT could be the reason. 

A reported non-fatal case in New Zealand brought the issue to medicos notice after the man in his early 30s suffered a swollen calf for 10 days after working at his screen for between 12 and 18 hours a day. 

At times he would spend up to six hours at a stretch seated and for some weeks after getting the swollen calf was increasingly breathless until one day he passed out. The cause was a large blood clot that travelled from his leg and into his lungs. 

If you do have to spend a long time on the computer doctors suggest the following: 

-Flex your toes and ankles 
-Drink water 
-Avoid alcohol 
-Get up and move about at least once an hour 

http://www.webwombat.com.au/lifestyle/health/computer_dvt.htm

wow, That's Interesting, Can it make your eyes go square as well? :p
18 hours ?? I can barley go 3 without getting bored and i cant go 25 secounds without adjusting my chair :p so i dont think I have a problem.
Computers are fun and it's easy to get hooked on some of the internet games. 
1 think to say
Call of Duty
i love that game! i sit in front of my comp like 47 hours week. HELP ME IM BORING
Wel then I guess this picture is just about right....

http://www.ryerson.ca/~lifeinst/images/evolution.jpg

If this keeps up soon life will be something like this (yea thats right I always have something funny :p)
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/lifein2003.html
Yeah, Call of Duty is very awsome. I'll even play for 2 or 3 hours and not even realize it.
OH NO CONFED !!!! ITS UNBEARABLE, U PLAY IT FOR 2 HOURS !!!!!!!! WHAT IS THIS WORLD COMING TO ?? welcome to my world :D
Hey, did you get the Auto-Update for the game? They came out with this new game type called "Headquarters." It's really neat.
yes Confed, i have the 1.2 patch, and HQ is cool
>>>
i was telling some of my fellow tanxters about this during and after the tournament yesterday evening ..especially harrydog and canTANK
>>i was playing BROCK LASNER and i experienced a throbbing pain close to my heart and right "pectoralis" (chest)
>>>>i finally got through the game ( it was 10-9) then i just couldnt take it anymore and stood up and had a glass of water ..about 30 minutes later the "throbbing pain" had gone ..during those 30 minutes i wasnt even near my computer 
>maybe my case is relevant to deep vein thrombosis?
>>>anyways ..im completely fine now ..:D

thanks,
TANK_MASTER:D
Be sure your all In The Know Before You Go on the computer 
Make sure you're healthy before you start tapping the keyboard and sit there allday. If you're embarking on a long game, make sure your teeth are OK. If you wear glasses or contact lenses take a spare pair and your prescription. If you require a particular medication take an adequate supply, and here i was thing that only applied to fying...i cant stay,im just of to the chemists lol....and what is it about weraing womens tights? NO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
and where`s the charisma, doctor Jingle?
Charisma is not something that you learn in school Holly Folly. You are born with it- that magical something that enables you to make jokes from nearly any situation. Charisma is what enables you to get other people to laugh at almost anything you say even when it is not that funny and enables you to make something funny out of some everyday thing. Charisma is what enables you to get the deal done and to persuade people and reel them into your way of thinking...And that why i think YOU have charisma Holly er Folly er Whats ur name? ..i cant understand a word u say...but i enjoy your posts :-)

Maria Lucia, that`s my name, doctor; I am sorry to see that your memory went slow....eh, we`re all getting old!!!!
speak for yourself maria er lucia.i'm still young( well i like to believe i am):p