« Back to All Topics
NEW YEAR RESOULUTION ON BILLIARDS
Posted in 
Billiards
Posted in 
Billiards
I THINK THE NEW YEAR SHOULD BRING NEW IMPROVEMENTS TO 9BALL AND SNOOKER N 8BALL.

1ST OFF 9BALL SHOULD HAVE A BIGGER TABLE SO CB CAN BE PREVENTED AND THAT THE RULE OF PLACING THE BALL WHEREVER ON THE TABLE YOU WISH SHOULD BE TAKEN OFF BECAUSE THE 9BALL RULES STATE THAT THE CUE BALL SHOULD BE PLACED BEHIND THE DRAW.

SNOOKER, YOU SHOULD ALSO MAKE THE TABLES BIGGER AND MAKE THE REDS SEEM TO NOT BE CRAMMED ALL TO A BUNCH AND HAVE NO SPACE AND PREVENT HARD HITTERS GETTING THEIR GLORY :):):):):):)

AND 8BALL YOU SHOULD LEAVE THE SAME BUT HAVE A BIGGER TABLE :-p 

SORRY ABOUT CAPS JUST REALISED NOW AND I CANT BE BOTHERD TO WRITE THIS ALL AGAIN :):):)
Dont you ever look at the screen?
oops there a goo agen lol soz
You are mistaken. According to The Official Records and Rules Book of the Billiard Congress of America, a scratch (foul) results in the opponent being granted ball in hand anywhere on the table, not behind the headstring. The only exception is if the player performing the opening break misses the rack entirely, in which case the cue ball is placed behind the headstring and the incoming player has the option of shooting or making the same player break again.

Another nice thing would be to provide a "roll out" or "shoot out" option after a break in which no ball is pocketed but the incoming player is snookered. In real 9ball, the player has the option to call a "safety" and shoot the ball to a spot without being required to hit the one ball. The next player then has the option of shooting or making the same player shoot again.(passing the shot) This eliminates the possibility of a player using the "roll out" in any other way than than to keep from being unfairly harmed by an accidental snooker off the break.

Now what would 
really
 be cool for both 9 ball and 8 ball would be to make the game "call shot". In real pool, there's none of this slop (fluke) business.

That one change would elevate the quality of the game immeasurably.

While I am at it... add this one last change to my wish list. In 8 ball and 9 ball "A legal shot requires that the cue ball's first contact be with the lowest numbered ball (9ball, stripe or solid in 8ball of course) on the table. A player must (1) pocket a ball where called or (2) cause the cue ball or any object ball to contact a cushion. Failure to meet this requirement is a foul. This change would eliminate the defensive shot in which a player gently banks the cue ball off the rail to hide it behind one of his own balls without driving either to a rail AFTER contact as required, thereby snookering the opponent. Snookering your opponent is a great  defensive tactic, but it should have to be done legally.

Over the past 2 or 3 years, FlyOrDie has made numerous changes to bring the game closer to the "real thing". Some of the  best changes have been to make the rules more like the official ones. Keep up the good work!

P.S Before y'all start in... I know that rules vary from country to country... I quoted north American rules here because it seems that for the most part, FlyOrDie has elected to adopt north American rules.

Nεmεsιs - one of the FOD old timers
sorry nemisis but i am in the uk so maybe thats why we are used to playing that way but the thing is placiing the ball behind the draw is the best rule so no1 can fluke as much as they do:):)

wghat you think ?:|
I have one suggestion as an improvement:

9ball

In 9-ball when a person reaches the last ball (the 9-ball) and scratches, the result is a "scratch" therefore a person can move the ball, the obvious outcome of the moving ball on a scratch is the person who never scratched wins. Is there any point in moving? Why not an instant win. Or...instead of having a move, the person whom would normal get the move can decide whether to take the shot, or pass. But, it would have to be behind "the draw". I know people probably don't mind the way it is already, but when the tables turn and you having lost because of an unlucky scratch on the 9ball, it gets kind of annoying? From my point of view i think this would be fair as the person who scratches can risk the shot or risk the pass. (If you know what i'm getting at?)

Other then that the game is fine. 

Thanks,

Da Master
hi da your are right about that but some people dont deserve that opportunity (edited by moderator) missed on the 9 after scractch
The reasoning behing granting ball in hand 
anywhere
 on the table after a foul is that it prevents players from fouling intentionally as a defensive measure. For example, let's assume for a moment that ball in hand is taken only behind the headstring. The 9 ball is also somewhere behind the headstring. The player who is shooting has an impossible shot on 9 so rather than attempt a shot, risk missing it and leaving a makable shot for the opponent, he instead scratches intentionally, thereby leaving the opponent a difficult, if not impossible shot (since the 9 is behind the headstring forcing the player to bank the cue ball off the bottom rail).

It actually used to be this way on FlyOrDie. There was lots of intentional scratching... which as far as sportsmanship goes, ranks right up there with the "cheat break" in my opinion.

On the other hand, if like in snooker, the incoming player has the option of passing when the opponent  has fouled, it wouldn't be so bad.

Actually Nem if it was played like that the 9 shoud be placed on the dot on the other side of the table...as it would in 8ball (being behind the headstring (cue) with 8ball behind it too....it would be moved to the dot.