« Back to All Topics
An update to Programme detection is long overdue.
Posted in 
Chess
Posted in 
Chess
Hello again, been a member here for a very long time since I was a kid mainly playing chess so FOD has always had a special place for me.
 This isn't a rant bashing progs playing, I don't mind a prog being a prog as long as I know they are one, my issue here is the amount of dishonest progs there are here I read in the rules about a prog having to inform you that they are using software, they never do, if they have a ! symbol that to me is as good as informing me but there are a tonne of programmes who evade your detection. I'm not sure if it's still this way but using Google Chrome avoided detection.
 So what I'm saying here is I don't understand why you guys can't implement a prog detector similar to those on other chess websites the difference here being they aren't banned but are listed as a programme. When you play here and reach around 450+ points half the challenges are prog players and the ones without the ! symbol I have to check previous results see they drew with a prog and then reject them but I have fallen to programmes in the past and as recent as a week ago, there's nothing more infuriating than playing a prog when I didn't know they were one (they have draws against several progs a few days after I played them) I didn't stand a chance I had 30 minutes of my life wasted and had to spend another 30 minutes getting the points I lost back, any semi serious chess player has a prog for analysis and variation observation so I don't need to play them here.
 I understand your view on progs being allowed but for any human chess player here who reaches 450+ will be challenged constantly by prog and more annoyingly the progs who hide detection, when you reach this level a lot of human players leave and go to competitor websites as we don't have a problem (FOD is losing a lot of good players this way), I must admit I come and go I reach a ceiling here then go to a competitor then come back a year later after my points have been lost to inactivity because as I said originally FOD was the first site I played on.
 I hope you guys do update the programme detection as it is holding the website back, there's so much suspicion here about who is a prog or not in general chat everyday, not many human players want to play a prog. 
  Anyway sorry if it comes across as a bit of a ramble but is something that needs to be addressed and updated.

Regards

White Knight