« Back to All Topics
Spirit of Curling
Posted in 
Curling
Spirit of Curling
Posted in 
Curling
Spirit of Curling
First off ... I love curling and appreciate all of you who play the game, are friendly and enjoy this great sport.

Second ... I was quite put out this morning after I was challenged to a game by a lower "ranked' player only to have our game interrupted by someone accusing me of scalping points.  Disappointing to say the least.  I am a 5th year curler, volunteer and ice maker at our local club.  I was taught etiquette before I was taught delivery or strategy by curlers with 50+ years of experience.  The behavior of some on this site is embarrassing.  

I know this is just a video game and not real curling.  But I just wanted to put in my 2 cents and say to anyone here thinking about going to their local club and trying curling for the first time ... do it!  You will be welcomed and treated well by all. In our club, 1st year teams play against former national champions every week and have a great time doing it.  Our club has produced numerous junior champions because all players are encouraged to play and have fun.  The way to do that is to be friendly, courteous and respectful ... not judgmental, arrogant and snotty.

Sorry for the rant ...

Most of the time, persons with a higher "Rate" rarely play players with a low rating for numerous reasons, biggest one being the fact that they lose more rating points if they are defeated by a lower rated player, but not everybody.

There is no need to worry or be put off by these sorts of players who spectate and comment on this, just ignore them and let them report you if they "suspect" that you are cheating, chances are, most of the time they won't report you as there is clearly not a case to report, or they will report it but I am very sure that the moderators are well aware of how to spot a match fixer from a mile away. 

Regards.
i play all..have fun curling!!!!!  as does my local curling club
many have nothing to use anyway good curling
I simply do not understand all this talk of cheating.  Today, I played cricketer2014 and he said that I was cheating.  When I asked how exactly he thought I was cheating, he replied that the ice was faster than normal and that my rocks were curling more than his.  Now this took me a bit by surprise since I have no control over the ice and he only threw heavy takeouts hence his rocks running straight.  Funny how when I called him out on this, all he could do was threaten to "punch my teeth in."  This is just plain silly.