real curling
Posted in 
Curling
real curling
Posted in 
Curling
real curling
Hello everyone; 

I was wondering, I have never curled in real life so please forgive my ignorance.That being said. When some one shoots a rock in real curling do they put a spin on the handle as they release the stone?? Is this allowed?? If it is allowed why isn't there an option on here to put more spin on rock?? 
It just seems to me like it would be easy to twist hand as you let go to make more curl. Does this happen in real curling?

Thank you in advance;
               Wolfman 
               :)
Yes wolfman, you do turn the handle. Turning it a lot and making the rock spin fast only makes the rock go straighter. You turn the handle just enough to get the rock to curl, anymore and it will actually curl less.
so why not an option on here to put more spin on it so that it will go straighter when you want??
The game is already realistic. more handle isn't needed that's just silly. You should worry about your skill and strategy instead of the amount of handle on the rock
wolfman, a lot more spin isn't reliable or accurate. If you want it to go straighter, sweep or use more weight, if you want the rock to be at a certain point on the ice, use the broom. 
more weight or more sweeping doesnt work here very often,the rock will continue to move or curl if you want to call it that. but nonetheless probally best curling on line
brb,

I'm not worried about anything I am just asking questions to learn more about the game. I live in southern USA and winter sports just aren't there foray. The only curling that goes on around here is weights and hair.I did say forgive me before I asked.I always will ask questions about things I don't know about it is how I learn. If it bothers you that I asked just don't read this thread is all I can say. I do need to work on my strategy.I am always open to any sensible suggestions about how to play this great game.I was just wondering about spin on the rock and if each shooter has his own style like a pitcher in baseball more or less.
"I'm not worried about anything I am just asking questions to learn more about the game. I live in southern USA and winter sports just aren't there foray. The only curling that goes on around here is weights and hair."

Hey Wolfman, I always enjoy introducing new people to real curling on ice. Here in Madison Wisconsin we get many transplanted Southerners who try curling out and end up staying.

"I was just wondering about spin on the rock and if each shooter has his own style like a pitcher in baseball more or less."

Hmmm. I like the baseball analogy, but to answer your question, no. The rock should make about 3.5 rotations down the sheet. Anything much much more only means the rock is expending all its energy rotating and not actually traveling down the sheet. On the other hand, a "weak" handle, i.e. not enough curl, will often result in the rock suddenly changing direction, sort of like a knuckleball - no predictability (the rocks sometimes do act like they have a mind of their own in this case).

You basically start with the rock at either a 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position and release at noon by the time you release.

Come look me up if you are ever up this way - I'll get you out on the ice!

c²

c2 you said come look you up if I'm ever this way, but I don't know where you are.