« Back to All Topics
MY FAV QUOTES FROM BEDFORD
Posted in 
Tanx
Posted in 
Tanx
"I ain't no graduate of West Point and never rubbed my back up against any college."

"Get there first with the most men."

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

"Whenever you meet the enemy, no matter how few there are of you or how many of them, show fight."

"I did not come here for the purpose of surrendering my command." -- At Fort Donelson

To General Braxton Bragg, CSA:  "If you ever again try to interfere with me or cross my path, it will be at the peril of your life."

To General Braxton Bragg, CSA: "I will be in my coffin before I will fight again under your command."

"Get 'em skeered, and keep the skeer of 'em"

"War means fighting, and fighting means killing."

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the skeer."

"Come on boys, if you want a heap of fun and to kill some Yankees."

General William Tecumseh Sherman, USA:  "Follow Forrest to the death if if costs 10,000 lives and breaks the treasury.  There will never be peace in Tennessee until Forrest is dead." 

"I never see a pen but what I think of a snake."

"My staff does all my drinking."

"Any man who is in favor of a further prosecution of this war is a fit subject for a lunatic asylum, and ought to be sent there immediately."

"I did all in my power to break up the government, but I have found it a useless undertaking and am now resolved to stand by the government as earnestly and as honestly as I fought."

"I went into the army worth a million and a half dollars and came out a beggar."

"We were born on the same soil, breathe the same air, live on the same land, and why should we not be brothers and sisters?" -- Addressing the African-American community of Memphis at the city fairgrounds, July 5, 1875

"Abolish the Loyal League and the Ku Klux Klan; let us come together and stand together."

What do ya guys think....I posted this cuz it had alot to do with tanx ;) LOL

"People who are anxious to bring on war don't know what they are bargaining for; they don't see all the horrors that must accompany such an event."

"I am in favor of making a thorough trial for peace, and if we fail in this and our state is invaded, to defend it with terrific resistance."

"All I am and all I have is at the service of my country."

"No, you greatly overestimate my capacity for usefulness.  A better man will soon be sent to take my place."

"My religious belief teaches me to be as safe in battle as in bed.  God has fixed a time for my death.  I do not concern myself about that, but to always be ready, no matter when it may overtake me."

"Through life, let your principal object be the discharge of duty."

"Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve."

"You may be whatever you resolve to be."

"Never take counsel of your fears"

Exchange with Dr. Hunter McGuire after second Manassas:
Dr. McGuire:  "We have won this battle by the hardest kind of fighting."
Jackson: "No, no, we have won it by the blessing of Almighty God."

At First Manassas:  Charge men, and yell like furies!

"Don't say it's impossible!  Turn your command over to the next officer.  If he can't do it, I'll find someone who can, if I have to take him from the ranks."

"Who could not conquer with such troops as these?"

Farewell address to his troops, Nov. 4, 1861:  In the Army of the Shenandoah, you were the First brigade.  In the Army of the Potomac, you were the First brigade;  you are the First brigade in the affections of your general; and I hope in your future deeds and bearing that you will be handed down to posterity as the First brigade in this, our second War of Independence."

"Shoot the brave officers and the cowards will run away and take the men with them."

"Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy; and when you strike and overcome him, never let up in the pursuit.  Never fight against heavy odds if you can hurl your own force on only a part of your enemy and crush it.  A small army may thus destroy a large one and repeated victory will make you invincible."

"I had rather lose one man in marching than five men in fighting."

"What is life without honor?  Degradation is worse than death."

"Aim, fire low, and may God have mercy on their souls."

Exchange with Longstreet before Fredericksburg:
Longstreet:  "General, do not all those multitudes of Federals frighten you?"
Jackson:  "We shall see very soon whether I shall not frighten them."
Longstreet:  "But, Jackson, what are you going to do with all those people over there?
Jackson:  "Sir, we shall give them the bayonet."

Lee on Jackson:  "Such an executive officer the sun never shone on.  I have but to show him my design, and I know that it can be done, it will be done...Straight as the needle to the pole he advanced to the execution of my purpose."

Jackson on Lee:  "So great is my confidence in General Lee that I am willing to follow him blindfolded."

General George E. Pickett:  "I pray that God may spare him to us to see us through.  If General Lee had Grant's resources, he would soon end the war, but Old Jack can do it without resources."

"It is the Lord's Day.  My wish is fulfilled.  I have always desired to die on a Sunday."

Jackson's Final Words:  "Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees."

-Stonewall-

im a'' jhonny reb><   for da' cause'';''
The History Channel Presents:

"This Day in Civil War History"

http://www.historychannel.com/tdih/civilwar.html

enjoy....

GHOST
This is just to clear things up....CSA was Christian 0:) and FIGHTERS >:)
Robert E. Lee 

You can have anything you want - if you want it badly enough. You can be anything you want to be, have anything you desire, accomplish anything you set out to accomplish - if you will hold to that desire with singleness of purpose. 

Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character. 

My experience through life has convinced me that, while moderation and temperance in all things are commendable and beneficial, abstinence from spirituous liquors is the best safeguard of morals and health. 

My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian. 

It is well that war is so terrible, or we should get too fond of it. 

I cannot trust a man to control others who cannot control himself. 

Get correct views of life, and learn to see the world in its true light. It will enable you to live pleasantly, to do good, and, when summoned away, to leave without regret. 

Duty is the most sublime word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. 

A true man of honor feels humbled himself when he cannot help humbling others. 

We failed, but in the good providence of God apparent failure often proves a blessing. 

---GENERAL LEE ;)

mr bluze how did u do that writing blue colour??

"Fourscore and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. 
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation or any nation so conceived and so dedicated can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting-place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this. 

But in a larger sense, we cannot dedicate, we cannot consecrate, we cannot hallow this ground. The brave men, living and dead who struggled here have consecrated it far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living rather to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us--that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion--that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain, that this nation under God shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth." 

President Abraham Lincoln

at the dedication of the military cemetary 
Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
19 November 1863

salute Confederate...   good post..

GHOST

National Park Service web site for Gettysburg:

http://www.nps.gov/gett/