« Back to All Topics
Continual Connection Issues
Posted in 
Curling
Posted in 
Curling
I just finished reading brb's post about connection issues. He's had it happen once - recently. As you'll note, from my past posts,the most recent in mid-January, no person on this site experiences more frequent connection issues than me. After the "Nightmare That Wouldn't End" (connection issues every single time I came to this site), I finally took my computer to an expert to try to resolve whatever issues it had. The individual is a 'Senior Software Engineer'- has spent nearly 20 years in the field, worked  at Microsoft for a number of years & is currently one of the lead developers/engineers for E.A.Sports. I informed him of ALL the various issues with my system and left the unit with him for 9 days. The work that he performed was equivalent to the cost of replacing this computer & he informed me that perhaps as few as "200 people in the world" could have found & corrected the various issues that he was able to uncover & resolve. Virtually every aspect of the computer is now as good as new...except for one site - FlyOrDie !! Since getting the computer back, there is barely ever a single end, where my  connection doesn't get lost. Sometimes I'll lose it 2,3 or 4 times per end!! Usually it comes back...but not always. I've lost it entirely at least 15 - 20 times this month. In fact, I've now started keeping track of "POINTS LOST" due to lost connections. I'm nearing 475 points, just this month!! There is never a way to gain any points, here, any more. I can win 6 or 8 games in a row - gain perhaps 25 or 30 points...& then lose my connection (usually before even throwing a single rock, as has been the case 4 times, in the past 36 hours) and lose those 25 or 30 points - or more - in a matter of a few minutes. All the advice & suggestions I was given last month now seems so pointless. All the time I thought it was the FlyOrDie site. However, others kept suggesting it was my computer. Now that my computer is virtually new again, I at least have the satisfaction of knowing that it was in fact this site all along. What steps can you take to allow me to play on this site without being constantly disconnected? 
are you still piggybacking off the landlords connection?

Have you tried your computer off a friends connection to rule out the possibility that using this shared connection is part of the problem? 
Yes I am. However, that aspect will not change. There is another person, who also uses the same 'piggyback' method of having an internet provider, at this residence. I have tried that computer, on this site, & have found virtually as much trouble with it, as my own, although when I'd be disconnected, more often I was able to regain the connection than with my own computer. As an aside, I just tried to play a 2-end game, a few minutes ago. It was to be my 1st game of the day. Before my 1st rock had even reached the 1st hog line, I was disconnected - couldn't get it back - & lost another 15 points from my rating. I'm now well over 500 points lost, for the month of February, due to lost connections. My frustration has reached an almost "out of control" point!!
I have problem with the connection. The system is working nearly perfect.

I played over 9000 ends an had 4 broken connections, thats 0.00044 %= nearly perfect.

I think your provider is not good enough.

greez stoneman

Unfortunately i think you must resign yourself to suffering this problem whilst you share the connection.

Winston, if you can't get a better connection, then you can't get your issue solved. Posting about it won't help you, it will just let you vent.
sorry...i meant I HAVE NO Problem with the connection
There are 8000 people online playing FOD games now clearly not having connection problems.

Enough posts on these forums already.
It happened to me also in last 5 minutes 2 times,lost points and against a player i wasn,t playing!!!but i must be carefull for to much critics because they don,t like it here
Man. I had to log into this system just to shut this guy up? Come on Winston. Don't let me lay the Smack Down on you again.
Hey Winston,
You really do seem to be having bad luck with your connection.
Did the expert who found 200 problems with your PC try your PC with his internet connection? If you now have more or less a new PC, you would think you'd be able to connect.
Have you followed the steps recommended by the FlyOrDie Technical Support Team? Have you tried a USB internet dongle as I suggested ages ago?

Good Luck,

Eve

Eve...Yes, I looked into that item that you suggested, but it is not available for my system...or not compatible. I actually carried the unit to a store & asked about it. Secondly, there were not 200 things wrong with my computer. You misread my post. After 18 months of this, I'm just too frustrated to even try anything else. My enjoyment of playing on this site is rapidly subsiding & I'm just not playing nearly as much lately. It's too frustrating & there just is not a solution. The person who repaired my computer did try this computer on 2 different connections - his residence & workplace. Everything apparently was fine, however, I'm sure he didn't come to the FlyOrDie site to test it. This laptop now is much better on virtually every website that I visit...EXCEPT THIS ONE !! If anything, it's worse than it ever was on this site. As a result, I just think my days of playing here are coming to an end. It's just become pointless.I tried to play tonight & lost my connection nearly 20 times in 2 hours. 6 of those times, I could not get it back.
There average website will deal very well will packet loss.

Playculing.com however is not a website but a game.  As a rule games are sensitive to latency issues and dropped packets will kill your experience, no doubt about it.

You need to shell-out for a proper internet provider.  This has been said to you many times already.  The "Expert" who fixed your should have said this as well.

~40$/month typical for broadband. ~70$/month for a phone plan (like Eve talks about).  Is possible to get cut-rate/crippled broadband for ~25$/month in some places.  Please call your local broadband suppliers.

Over and out.

Hi Winston,
Sorry - 200 was the number of people in the world who could have fixed the problems found on your computer. My apologies.
Seems pretty clear that the issue is your internet connection. Nothing anybody else can do to sort this for you, despite our efforts.
Why not take your computer back to the engineer and get him to connect to FlyOrDie using 
his
 connection?

Good luck,

Eve
SHUT UP!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!
Winston, with a poor internet connection, how can java send and receive all the data as quickly as it has too? Most websites doesn't need to send and receive the packets and they don't need to run java. This is why this website is still troublesome for you. Any game site that is setup like this one will be trouble for you.
Winston, with a poor internet connection, how can java send and receive all the data as quickly as it has too? Most websites doesn't need to send and receive the packets and they don't need to run java. This is why this website is still troublesome for you. Any game site that is setup like this one will be trouble for you.
This Winston guy just wants attention. Don't reply to him anymore. Thanks. Bye.
You have played 9000 ends STONEMAN? More like 600 ends! The other 8400 ends have you got after low rated players (10 or below) have left the game after 1 end in your 10 end skin game.