« Back to All Topics
Playing To Lose.
Posted in 
Curling
Playing To Lose.
Posted in 
Curling
Playing To Lose.
     I have played many games. And I have noticed that some players will play to lose, and turn the game into a bowling match from the start. They will forfeit and will accept losing 1-0, esspecially after they have just scored 2-4 on you.

This type of behavior is for losers. Losers play to lose. Winners give nothing away.. never take a play off.. never lose concentration.. never let up on their opponent.

If you are a player who plays to lose. You will always get whats coming to you.. a lose. 

Player like Erjc and Xayal760, are just two of the many players (losers) who I have played against who have played to lose. Happy losing boys.... and to the rest of you.... Happy curling.
If I just scored 2-4, I would try to steal the next end to make it a clean victory. It's just my way of doing since I don't want a boring game and I love to take some risk in order to win big. I think you can avoid playing these guys next time. It isn't their fault to play defensively after leading huge but it just shows you that you are a point collector but not the one who is playing for fun. I think it is pointless to collect points since it will be dropped day after day and you can't play this game every day to boost it. For me, taking the crown for a short period of time is enough, most of the time I play for fun or play for competitions(tournaments)
I agree with markchan007.
What is up with players using this "bowling" term?
They obviously have not played REAL curling and certainly not accustomed to playing a full 8- or 10-end game.
Switching to a take-out (or "bowling" as you whiners call it) strategy is a legitimate and skillful part of the sport.
Make time to watch some more real curling and you will understand better.

c-squared

This is rich coming from the guy who piles-up rocks at the hog-line and heckles the opposition.
Talk about fair-play and fun. :s
If you don't like some people's style just don't play them. What is the use crying about it?
As a experance curler ! It is my stragety having the hammer to remove all my aponents rocks that are infront of the t line or freezing to rocks behind the t line keeping the front of the house open for last stone .Takeouts are allowed in the game .If you don"t like to play the takeout game then force your aponent into a draw game .Stragety
Play to manufacture points.  You have the free-guard rule at your advantage - set up guards.

Just because your opponent takes all his rocks into the rings with a lead in a final end doesn't mean you have to follow him.  Set up guards - make some freezes...get creative.
If you curl in rl you would understand the strategy of the original post.  Those of us who like to play a game of curling (6, 8 or 10 ends) play to win the match, not to win every end.  There is a very basic strategy for curling, take 2 points (or more) when you have the hammer and steal or only give up one when you don't.  In professional curling it is considered a well played end if the team that does not have last rock forces the the team that does to only one point.  I approach each game with this strategy and will even blank an end (get no points and give up no points) if it looks like I will only get one point so that I can keep the hammer for the next end. 
To each his own. Play the way you need to, to win the game. A one-ender or two-ender is vastly different from a 4-ender or a 8-ender.

This bowling people are talking about is just a shorter way of saying "hey don't go against my strategy!!!" 

If I have a substantial lead why would put up guards to help my opponent?

What if it's a 3-1 game and I don't have hammer in the 2nd to last end? Wouldn't I be better off just forcing my opponent to 1 point and getting hammer back with a lead?

Would I ever just leave my Queen exposed for you to take in a chess game?
You know what IS bothersome but I really don't care because it helps me, is players that go for one point WITH the hammer.

They got one in the four foot then start piling up centre guards lol.