« Back to All Topics
Go Suggestions
Go Suggestions
Go Suggestions
1. I would like to suggest a new ranking system for the game go; something like the real ranking (30kyu-1kyu then 1dan-9dan). The reason for this is to roughly have an idea of your real skill, it is more encouraging because there are more ranks to ascend to, and it allows for a better view of skill level (for example, I know of two players who will challenge low ranking players all day and boost their ranks. If the system were based on kyu and dan rankings, then they couldn't raise their levels by playing weak people when they themselves are only a 14kyu).

2. I would like to suggest a friends list. I have many people on flyordie that are my friends, and it's hard to keep track of them. 

3. I would like to suggest allowing for more people to view a game than eight at once. There may be a good reason for this, but it would be nice to not have to wait for someone to leave in order to watch a game and hope you are the first to join.

4. I would like to suggest a section for tournaments. As of now, the second room was used to host a tournament for gohero.org. It would be nice to have a bracket system and possibly add a mod to host tournaments weekly or bi-monthly.

5. I would like to suggest making a handicap system. I have seen people ask for a handicap, and when they place a stone, they wait for the opponent to pass. When the opponent has passed they pass to and the game is automatically scored. This one  is a necessary. If not a handicap system, then asking to mark dead stones in this situation could help because you could then deny the claim.

6. I would like to suggest, which may be impossible, a review system. One of the best things about go on kgs.com, is that one can review the game they just played and even make changes to it. This is ideal for teaching and learning to improve.
Ohh sorry one more thing. It would be nice to have the sgf option changed. It would be nice if the moves were organized better on the sgf files. That and giving the option to have the gAme as a text, as it is now or to have it in an sgf format that can be played out on a server that plays sgf files. Sorry for all of the suggestions btw. This is just a lot of things I think would improve go. I love the website now though and thank you
Re: 2) Subscribers do have buddy lists.
Re: 5) Giving handicap can't be abused any more.
Re: SGF) Could you explain a bit more? SGF is a text file itself. What do you mean by 'organized better'?

to the buddy list I didnt know lol:D

alright to the handcap part but it would still be nice to have a choice at the beginning of the game for a handicap.

as for the sgf file, I mean there are sgf file players. like panda go has one. If you open the file on an sgf player you can start from move 0 and click next as it lays the stones for you up to the end game. The good thing about this is you dont have to keep looking at the printout and lay stones. The second good thing is that you are able to play elsewhere to see what could have been a better move or even mark where better moves are. If the player were available on the website, like KGS, then you could even go over the game with the other person. 

The way the sgf file is now is also nice because you can print it out and take it on the go. However, the layout of it is hard to read. It would be better if the layout were more like a sheet of kifu. Or something like:

B-Akiosensei(rank) vs. W-Royksopp(rank) 
Komi-6.5  Handicap- (if there was one)  Board-13x13 Score-(B-54 W-75.5) 
03/11/11   12:22PM CST (Central Standard Time)

(only the number, not the color, here because black obviously went first) 1:(B,4) 2:(B,10) 3:(D,3) ........

This format is nice because it is clear which move was played at which point in the game, who is playing, what color they were, their rank, komi, handicap, what size board, and what the end score was. I just made this up from the top of my head as an example there might even be a better way to do it. 
ok the sad faces are not sad faces they are a : followed by a (
The sgf export is in sgf format, you should copy/paste it into a text editor, and save it as an .sgf file. This way you will be able to open them in most Go softwares.

You can also paste them directly into a Go editor software.

OP
Then it would be nice to have a printable version. so i can take on the go. I didnt know that could be used in sgf though