« Back to All Topics
race to 206 luck
race to 206 luck
race to 206 luck
I have 2 diggers on my riptide account (Doug Littlearth and goldengirl) who I have put in a race to get to 206 luck (that magical number where all ore has dropped off). I wish I would have been more scientific in my approach for this. But, maybe this will inspire someone else.
 Both of them started life on Larkinor as citizens with boats.
 Doug has done nothing but dig on TA, and will continue to do so until he reaches a level high enough to do all the missions at once and join a clan to bring his luck to 206.
  goldengirl spends her clicks doing as many missions as she can, she joined a clan, and the rest of the time she digs on TA.
 As Sandy has shown us all, these two will make lots of money so I didn't pit them against each other in that reguard.
 As of now, goldengirl has 123 luck at level 28. She just leveled, and will probably be able to complete another mission or 2. Doug also just leveled to 30, and has 97 luck.
 I've been rooting for Doug since the beginning, so any further posts from me on this subject will probably show my bias.

Also, if you compare click sum (gg-127867, Doug-146457). I don't know where this difference came from. The only thing i can think is maybe clicks inside a King's mission might not be counted toward click sum. IDK? They should be fairly even on this.

-tad

Going into your inventory, dropping things, and leaving inventory all count as clicks on your click sum, even though they do not count as clicks against your daily click allowance.  This would help to explain the difference between the two click sums.
Good luck tad! I'd like to reach that drop-off point too, but with my patience it could be unreachable goal. So far around 350.000 clicks and 157 luck. As clicking with my digger is not something I like to do, I assume I wasted something between 50K to 100K clicks.
I try to finish king's missions with my pure digger as early as possible. This is probably not the most efficient way of using clicks, as sometimes it takes many tries to beat it. However, the primary concern is to earn more money and that is I believe achieved by raising Luck as high as early as possible. Anyway, this experiment may prove the contrary. For the record, I managed to beat king's mission #33 with StricDig on level 28, and the rest as follows:

[pre]level           28  29  31  31  32  33
mission beaten  33  34  35  36  37  38[/pre]

That is exactly seven levels later than normal combat character. It means that it would be possible to finish all king's missions with a pure digger on level 45 at the earliest. That character can have 199 Luck (10+44*3+53+4), including the clan bonus. So the ore drop-off point for a pure digger is set to level 48. A digger without any mushrooms eaten would have 146 Luck at level 45, well under the tin drop-off point. The high luck one, however, digs up no tin in the meantime, more iron but also far more hypers.

Interesting approach though tad. I guess it comes down to how one deals with digging fatigue, assuming that at the end of it either of your guys will earn much more than needed to support other characters anyway.

EG
A sobering thought regarding the click-count difference: at least 12% of Doug's total clicks were used to throw away the stuff he just dug up.  All the more reason to hit 206, I suppose.  

Sandy
Several occurances have transpired since the last post that have caused me to rethink Doug's run at 206. Mainly, his older brother, go away, has gotten to the copper drop-off where he all of a sudden has become a more efficient digger.  Also Doug's own digging has at this point become painfully inefficient, whereas before this level, he was doing quite well.  I think he has gotten to a point where his luck/level maxes out the copper that he digs.
Therefore the new strategy for Doug is to dig to keep his luck/level down until he can do enough missions to pass the luck milestones of 131, 177, and 206.
So, right now, half-way through level 30, Doug will be able to do enough missions that will take him past 131 luck. He should be able to do some extra missions, but he will keep those for the next set.
I think this will be the most efficient way to get a digger to 206. 
Well, what do you mean by "efficient"?  Note the significant difference between "game clicks" and "mouse clicks"!  Dropping the heavy junk requires a bunch of mouse clicks, but no game clicks.

Digging XP seems affected most by level, followed by an unknown random element, followed what was dug up.  Putting aside the weariness of constantly having to throw away junk, and putting aside the differences in the amount of money you could make, it may be best (in terms of xp/click) to level up until you KNOW you can beat ALL the missions, then gear up once and do them all in one blast.  No lost clicks in failed attempts, minimal lost clicks in gearing up.

With all that said, I would agree that your new plan is the best balance between sanity and trying to level up with either the fewest "mouse clicks" or "game clicks".  There is little point in trying and sometimes failing to collect mushrooms when it's only going to marginally increase your odds of digging up better stuff.  When you can collect a mushroom that pushes you past a drop off cusp, however, that's an entirely different story.  After all, once you have a ridiculous amount of silver in the bank, reaching those drop off points is about the only thing that can keep you going.

Sandy

goldengirl:        level-41
                   luck-177
                   missions-44
                   hitpoints-1034
                   mana-467
Doug Littlearth:   level-43
                   luck-171
                   missions-32
                   hitpoints-1038
                   mana-478

goldengirl has 1 mission that she could complete at this time, but will save it 'til next level just to skip an upgrade. Doug has potentially 15 missions that he can complete, but will wait 'til he passes the tin cutoff. I've come to the conclusion that at the cutoff points, the frequency for the next item to be cutoff is at a maximum, and decreases as you work your way to its cutoff. Doing the missions after the tin cutoff will minimize the iron the Doug digs up. The drawback to Doug not doing the missions early, is that is that his hitpoints and mana haven't developed as much, thus he may not be able to complete the missions (here's hoping he can).
Also, I forgot to mention, 176 luck should be max for tin with 177 being cutoff. goldengirl has dug half a level with no tin showing up at 177.
> Also, I forgot to mention, 176 luck should be max for tin with 177 being cutoff. goldengirl has dug half a level with no tin showing up at 177.

Different than my results, but I've updated [url=
http://larkinorguide.com/articles/article-diggers.shtml
]the article
/url] anyway!  

Sandy
Several thousand clicks on luck=177 (incl. clan bonus!) and tin still a no show.

EG