« Back to All Topics
market
market
market
Quick question.  I thought the first person to place an item on the market at a certain price, stayed the first person until his/her items have been sold.  Is this not the case?  I'm getting jumped by others who have placed their merchandise after mine.

Thanks for any info.
JCD

Yeah, from my understanding of the market, that is the case. Are you the one doing the buying? If it's up to others, they might be transferring items to other characters by listing within 10% of your price, and buying immediately. I have no idea what happens if someone lists lower, then reprices the item (as I'm not a subscriber and don't have access to that ability). 
For instance, I was using 20 wizardrobes on TA for market banking of my digger's wealth. There were over 600 on at various times, but I kept buying and relisting the same 20 wizardrobes (never taking them all off the market at once) for a long time (they have since been purchased, so I switched to something else).
If others have taken their stock off the market it would look like theirs are being sold before yours.....
oh, nevermind, my other market banking item got jumped by others... maybe this happens every-so-often? I remember other glitches being mentioned on the forum before...

This has happened to me too.  Prospector has about 40k hyperiums at 50% on the Larkinor market.  When I posted them there about 2-3 weeks ago, I made sure they would be bought first by buying all the other hyperiums that were listed at 50%.

Today, I noticed that his market balance hadn't increased in about a week, so I sent him on a rare trip to Larkinor to investigate.  The hyperiums were still on the market and still 50%, but they were no longer first in the queue.  I had to buy about 400 hyperiums to get his stock back into the front of the line.

I tried the following:

- Character A posted 2 hyperiums for 50% on the market
- Character B posted 2 hyperiums for 100% on the market
- Character C posted 2 hyperiums for 50% on the market
- Character D bought 1 hyperium (from Character A, as expected)
- Character B reduced the price of his hyperiums to 50%
- Character D bought 1 hyperium (from Character A, as expected)
- Character D bought 1 hyperium (from Character C, as expected)

In other words, items are bought in the order they were priced, not the order they were listed.  Character B has to wait until Character C's hyperiums are sold, even though Character B listed his first, because Character C listed his for 50% first.

So that didn't work.  Any explanation on how this is happening would be appreciated... I'd like to take advantage of it too.

Sandy

I just noticed that it happened again.  Prospector hadn't even been IN the Larkinor market between the last time I posted in this thread and now.  The last thing he did in it was to buy hyperiums until he was buying his.  Then I bought a few of his with another character to ensure he was "first in line".  He was.  Prospector left the market, went to TA, and stayed there.

Today I noticed that his market balance hadn't grown while I was buying hyperiums for houseparts, so I got curious.  I bought a Larkinor hyperium with another character, and noticed that Prospector's market balance didn't change.  It turned out that a lot of around 100 hyperiums somehow got to the front of the line.

I wish I didn't have the niggle that some people know how to cause this error and are taking advantage. 

Sandy

Happened again.  I had to buy out 14 other lots of hyperiums before I started to buy any that belonged to Prospector.  His lot is #1 again... for the moment.

Sandy
Wow - 14 lots!  That's a lot of people....

Could it be that your character's level has some determining factor?  In your example above, was Character A's level lower than Char B, which was lower than Char C?

What other factors might have an influence on lot placement?
I wonder if it's not a bad idea (ie. programmed in intentionally). For instance, if you have 20,000 hyperiums on, it'll take a long time for them to be purchased and free up one spot on the market. So the 19 people stuck behind you will never sell their goods, unless the system bumps you behind them. I wonder if it's related to the % of the total number of items you have (of that particular good), and the number of people who are in line behind you... maybe you get booted to the back so extra slots are easier to clear.
Just a thought, no idea as to it's validity.
As a programmer I know that stance well: it's not a bug, it's a "feature"!

Although I'm still curious about how to instantly get my lots to the front of the queues, I'm not going to let it affect me anymore.  I spent thousands of clicks yesterday completely liquidating my massive market caches of hyperiums, diamond nails and oreputty.  I then transfered all the cash to Prospector, as anyone looking the "Money at the marketplace" Top List may have noticed.

Sandy