« Back to All Topics
Drastic Measures 2
Drastic Measures 2
Drastic Measures 2
Ladies and Gentlemen:
     What has my beloved Larkinor come to? This dispute over TA has gotten out of hand. It is natural for people to disagree about things and to argue but what I have read on this thread is childish. Of course people will look out for their own interest. People will turn and backstab you at any given time. Of course people will do things you don’t want them to. It is called free will.
     What I understand about the Larkinor economy is that it is a market-based economy with fluctuating prices as supply and demand goes up and down. The items in question here are nubs. The rebuilding of TA requires many of them, making them a high-demand item for the builders. The suppliers of this item are the Nail Thieves. Throw in a third party, the Splatters. Each group is trying to perform its task in the rebuilding of TA. The Splatters are attempting to make TA safe for everyone else; the Nail Thieves are trying to provide supplies to the builders who are trying to make TA a city once more. Each goal is interfering with the others. What you must ask yourselves is “what truly is the inferior goal?” That is a question that only you can answer. All of you are striving towards a common goal in a way, but everyone wants to benefit the most from the reaching of that goal. To work together sometimes sacrifice is required.
     Because of the arguing and bickering Larkinor is quickly becoming ignominious. Many people are leaving, and for good reason. At one time Larkinor was a place of teamwork and community among players. Is patrolling certain sector vigilante-style teamwork? Doesn’t it seem hypocritical to force your fellow players out by violent actions and words? True, Larkinor is a game that circles around violence, but that does not justify the lack of community that once prevailed. Keep in mind that this is only a game. Many people do not play the game simply because it is fun or exciting. Anyone can play a single-player game and have some fun, but when the friend comes along and plays with you the game becomes memorable. Many players come because they have come to feel a sense of community and friendship that does not exist for them in the “real world”. You as players, many of you senior players, have a choice and a responsibility. The choice is to work together or to split off into bickering factions. The responsibility is to keep Larkinor alive. Choose for yourselves how this will be done. I will continue to play Larkinor and try to be alleviation to the pressures and stresses of life by being positive towards my fellow players, supportive of the good that comes out of Larkinor and adding to this community. I hope that all of you will join me in these “Drastic Measures”.

-Mynok

When was there this community you speak of? Stuff like this has happened for the 2+ years I have been here. People used to hunt down persistant thieves long before TA was even here. You talk about working together but really that isn't what this game is about (TA some what). If people want to fight on the nail square then thats their choice but at the sametime it is also a choice to fight those people. I see nothing wrong with either of those. Again I will restate there is no teams in larkinor and not really a community. If players happen to due actions as a group that is mostly likely because it will individually benefit them not anyone else.
You might want to re-read the "Drastic Measures" thread post by post.  There is a LOT of good will in there, and only 3 or 4 posts disputing the practice.  If that's not community, I dunno what is.

I'd love to debate this, but frankly, I still don't see what the debate IS.  As far as I can tell, most people have been receptive to being nudged in the right direction.  Is the debate happening in chat?  Cause it sure isn't happening in the forum.  From my perspective, your message has come right out of left field and appears to be an attempt to open a "wound" which doesn't even exist.

Sandy

The issue is that we all seem to have lost sight of one very important thing, Larkinor is a game. I misspoke when I said “teamwork”. Teamwork is a very loose term anywhere. However, on the thread by Sandy T teamwork was mentioned quite a few times. Any teamwork (or lack thereof) on TA is not my business. The teamwork I wish to see is the helping and guiding of players that kept me in the game. I do not play Larkinor for the game; I play because there are good people here. Sadly, I am seeing that diminish and I am disheartened by it. There is fighting whether or not you want to see it. At one time this was a safe haven, now I am not certain. Please excuse my disillusionment but this is what I see. I still believe you to be good people. I am not attempting to open any wounds, or cause harm. If anyone wishes to discuss this with me I am usually in around 11 pm-1am (CST, America). Feel free to PM me.

-Mynok

Mynok, as in any game, people don't always play with good sport. Also online community games tend to bring out strong emotions. On the other hand, it is perfectly valid in any game for some players to have goals at cross purposes to other player's goals. If done in good sport, this adds to the fun. Sandy's most recent tone was not even adversarial. He was simply bringing nail theives into pvp's to talk to the other player. The other player was not harmed and simply sent the nail theives home. This persuasion even seems to have worked.

Anyway, this game is more interesting if people don't all do the same thing. To your point, however, emotions can run high. Once in awhile I, at least, need to step back and ask myself if I am playing in a sportsmanlike way.
A very mature-sounding response, Thomas.  You're inspiring me to attempt to do the same.

If I'm coming across as emotional on this topic, it's only because I don't understand the attraction to splatting this block.  When I don't understand the behaviour of others which are affecting me, I have a strong desire to gain that understanding.  In spite of my pleas, an explanation of those behaviours has not been forthcoming.  It's a little frustrating.

After verbally sparring with Pyra in chat for a bit yesterday, I've decided that I'm pretty much done speaking about this topic publicly.  As Pyra has been saying all along, people should feel free to do what they like.  All people.  Including, you must admit, those who choose to attempt to persuade other people to do something other than what they are currently doing, and those who chose to make their persuasions in a public manner.

Taken to it's extreme, this leads to the following historically unpopular point of view: "If I can't get what I want out of TA, I'm opting out of the TA gentleman's agreement".  But the truth is, I really don't like PvPing at all, and trying to making a living stealing from other characters on TA is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Sorry for the part I played in creating an atmosphere of non-community in your mind, Mynok (and others).  Hopefully you can take some comfort in knowing that there aren't many active Larkinor players who have done as much building and maintaining of this community as I have.

Blah, blah, blah.

Sandy