« Back to All Topics
10 million silver north port race!
consider this very advanced warning to a north port nub race.  thomas and i have agreed to donate 5 million silvers each (market-transferred) if anyone beats "only strength" in a north-port fighting race to 1000 kills (if more than one beat me, prize only goes to the fastest).  the details are still to be determined, but it will likely happen some time on a week day either next week (week of dec 11) or the week after (week of dec 18), some time between 9am and midnight EST (2pm and 5am GMT).

yes, i said 1000 kills, which will likely mean at least two trips (no dumping nubs) or more, for anyone who can't carry 300kg plus armour/weapons (callum is the only one i know who is an exception to this).  so for most people, this will mean over 10000 clicks needed, hence the advance warning.  also, i strongly suggest going up north and practicing for at least a little while, taking good notes of the number of drinks, etc you'll need, what monsters you can and cannot kill, and of course, make sure you've just lvl'ed and upgraded so you don't lvl in the middle of the race.

also, there will be another category for lvl-40-and-under fighters.  thomas will be racing one of his fighters in this race to 500, and if someone beats him, they will win 2 mil silvers (1 mil from me, 1 mil from thomas).

so, details (day, time, etc) will hopefully be posted by this coming friday around my dinnertime.  but til then, i want to hear from any of you wanting to help clear north port (or wanting to try for some money) by racing.  if you have preferences as to day or time (either EST or GMT, and state which), post them here.  let's see if we can clear 10k monsters from north port in one day!

--jason
Sounds like a good idea to me.  I'd like to chip in a 
second prize reward of 5 million
 which can either go to the second player who reaches 1000 kills, or the player with the second most number of kills when the first player reaches 1000.  I'll let Jason and Thomas decide on how to deal with that.

I'll join in on the fighting at the port if only to contribute to (and experience) the spirit of making quick communal progress.  Seeing as I generally only play while at work, I wouldn't be able to put in the 2-3 hours of solid play time required to win this race, so I'd prefer to think of my role as a contributor, rather than a competitor.

Personally, it would have to happen during 9-5 EST working hours for me to be present throughout, albeit intermittently.

Sandy
sounds great sandy.  we'll include that in the prizes.  probably the cases are as follows... if strength wins the race, no one gets the 10 mil prize, but someone will win your 5 mil prize.  if strength comes in second, someone wins the 10 mil prize, and i will pass your 5 mil prize down to 3rd place.  if strength comes in third or later, your prize goes to the 2nd fastest.
--jason
how will you know the player did the 1000 at N port?
i'll be up there fighting at the same time.  and we will all have to go back to the boat once in a while to heal, so i will see their name in the ocean there frequently.
--jason
Any time and I'll try to be there.  I'm a non-sub, though, and I'm not sure how many kills I can actually make on 5000 clicks, but I'll support the effort (I've got 3 chars who can fight on TA).
*bump*
last chance to put in a say for when you'd prefer the race to happen.  time of day... day of the week.  i'm gonna make a final decision on that in about a day and a half.  if others want to join the fight after that, that's not a problem.
--jason
ok, so thomas and i have been talking to some people in chat, and it seems 1000 kills is more time committment than most people can give.  so we'll have the main race only to 500 kills, and the 40-and-under race to 300 kills.  all prizes will be staying the same.  and again, i will finalize a date and time tomorrow.  so now people probably only need 3000 to 5000 clicks saved up, and it will probably be done within an hour, instead of taking 2-3 hours.  hopefully more will be able to join :)
--jason
Meph (or possibly Phoenix) would like to throw their helms in the ring.

Time constraints may prevent me from participating, but if I'm available when the contest kicks, count me in!

-B
sorry, was so busy studying for exams yesterday i forgot to post a day :p  i'm gonna go with tuesday, december 19th at noon EST (5pm GMT).  anyone who wants to join just for the company, show up at that day and time.  if you want to be in the challenge, post here.  i'll be asking around (in chat, and bumping this thread) a day or two before.  if changing the time an hour or two earlier or later would allow someone to fight with us who normally wouldn't be able to at the current time, just let me know... we'll probably switch it for you.

--jason
About the question to see if you did 1000...Does killing one monster get 1 monstology point? Is that how you're going to keep track of who is winning? If so, then you have to take the score right before the race or something?
Oh bah(humbug), just answered my own question..theres no other way to do that!
The blue cityguard damaged you with his bayonet for 139 hitpoints!
You cast a spell! A huge iceberg rolls from your hands! 101 hitpoints damage made!
Your enemy cries out, then collapses. You've won!
You've eliminated 400 monsters already!

Theox, 
little help from France :)

Salut a tous les francophones du Larkinor ^^
just a reminder of the race next tuesday.  we're currently planning for noon EST, but that could be changed if there's someone really wanting to race who can't make that time.  the race has been reduced to 500 for the overall prize and 300 for the 40-and-under division.  all other details should be in this post somewhere :p
--jason
Rumor has it that Jason has been fiddling with his computer software and may not have it up to full speed by Tuesday.... 
hmm... that was how many millions again....?   ;)
thanks thomas :s  hopefully i'll have my computer up to racing pace by tuesday... we'll see how it goes.  regardless, i'm still gonna be racing.
--jason
If everything goes according to plan, Meph will meet you at the North Port.

Is it nub count? or kills?
The only reason I ask, is that Meph can't be trusted. If he's falling behind, he just might 'borrow' some from someone else's pack.

-B (just kidding!)  :p
technically, it's kills at the north port.  but you can't steal up there anyway.  there's no stealing from boats, you don't see others in the port, and you never actually stay on land except when you're fighting a monster.
--jason
just a reminder... the race starts in 7 hours (at noon EST).  to those wanting to race, connect with me in chat at least 15 minutes before, or post to this forum if you can't get in chat.  and those just wanting to come for company, not wanting to race, are more than welcome to join us.
--jason
that was an amazingly close race! thanks to the four who were up there racing... we killed 1600 beasties in under an hour!  there were two who raced the full 500 (mephistopheles aka beavis, and strength aka me)... i got to 500 and beavis was only 13 monsters behind, it was that close.  he died once more than i did, and that probably made the difference.
in the lvl-40-and-under division, in a race to 300, pelopidas aka thomas, and blumschatten aka ezekial had an even closer race.  thomas ended up hitting the 300 as ezekial was only 8 monsters behind.  with 2 deaths and IE crashing for ezekial and 4 deaths for thomas, it couldn't have been much closer.
thanks again to all the racers.  beavis, you've got a 5 mil prize coming to you from sandy.  find him in chat or some other way to arrange for the money transfer.  and thanks to the few others who came up to keep us company for a few kills, putting our total up somewhere around 1700 kills in just under an hour :)
--jason
Ah heck, I was too busy at work to log in yesterday.

Oh well.  Congrats all!

Beavis, I can log in pretty much any time from 10-5 EST.  Let me know when you're around and we can watch for each other in chat.

Sandy
> Beavis, I can log in pretty much any time from 10-5 EST. Let me know when you're around and we can watch for each other in chat.

Bump!

Sandy
Sandy,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I can not with good conscience accept your money. Since there were only 2 of us racing, and I came in second (last).

I am not hurting for cash, so I respectfully ask that you save it for the next race.

-B
technically b, there were 4 of us racing.  just the other two also qualified for the 40-and-under division.  if one of them had come in 2nd, they would have got the prize from sandy (and probably also the prize from the lower division).  however, even if i came in 2nd and you won, i'd give you the prize money, and not accept sandy's prize for my 2nd place, so i know where you're coming from.

>I respectfully ask that you save it for the next race.
or might i even suggest "add it to the next race" instead of "save it for the next race"? :p

--jason
This seems to be making it pretty clear we need more participants in the next contest.  There are only three ways of accomplishing this: scheduling, decreasing the kills, and increasing the prizes.

Since the whole idea of this is to get people to clear the port, decreasing the number of kills (any further) seems ill-advised.

Scheduling will be terribly difficult, but we can start by asking if there were any potential competitors who didn't compete because of scheduling, and try to consider them next time.  I suggest that once a tempting prize structure is established, the potential competitors should unofficially sign-up to compete, THEN we attempt to establish a time/date and see how many of the competitors can't make it.

That leaves us with increasing the prizes.  I am willing to contribute a far greater amount, but I would like that amount to be related to the goal of clearing the port.  I suggest we consider a system of awarding the prizes based on the accomplishments of the competitors by the end of the competition.  
For example
:

[pre]

Place   Silvers/conquest Prize

1st     20,000 (~10 million)
2nd     15,000
3rd     10,000
4th      8,000
5th      6,000
6th      5,000
7th      4,000
8th      3,000
9th      2,000
10th     1,000
[/pre]

Seems to me like this is getting closer and closer to the team splat wars that are going on these days.

Sandy
I can't make it in from work anymore, so I've played a lot less recently. But I love the idea of clearing the north port. Rather than a speed race, you could have people try to  either do a one-day big event, or a consistent number of kills per day (like 100 kills/day for a sub, 50 kills/day for non-sub) for 10 or 20 days or something like that.

Just tossing out ideas. The difficulty with money being the prize is that to do well at the North port, you've got at least a lvl 33 or 34 character, and many people by that point have a rich benefactor character. But since it's the only thing that we can trade back and forth... it'll have to do. Or maybe use a famepoints-type approach. Have a thread where people can log their kills from north port, then if someone keeps track of it they can update another thread with the latest tallies (once a week update maybe?). So North Port Killers can have their day in the sun.

Later,

I agree that scheduling will be the most difficult part of the race. The only way I was able to compete in the last one was that I had a couple weeks of Vac time I had to use up by year's end.

How about rather than a race, a weekly kill-fest. Whoever kills the most monsters at N Port wins for the week. This way, more people may be able to compete since they have all week to fight rather than a specific time / date. The only down-side, we would be relying on the individuals honesty that they were actually fighting at the N Port.

Just a thought....

-B
And, for the record, Jason. If I had won, I would have taken your money!  :p

-B
i figured you would.  but i'm saying i wouldn't accept the 2nd place prize money from sandy if you had won.
--jason