« Back to All Topics
Sexist?
Sexist?
Sexist?
Excuse me, I don't want to sound rude or anything, but is it just me or are the creators of this game slightly sexist? There's a handfull of male avatar pictures, but only two actual girl avatar pictures ((you can't really tell if the hooded person is male or female)). Would someone please explain to me why that is?
Most of the playing population is male...and even female players dont have to have female characters.

If you don't like the pictures available then you could subscribe, and this would mean you can have your own picture there, or one of a female avatar from the internet.

Well Orph, see my reply to a totaly different thread not too long ago.

Anyway as far as this game goes it is pretty much totaly text orientated and I would say the cuteness factor is hovering around zero. There are a few monsters that I regret having to kill but for the most part no cuteness. I have also found that like many video/computer games it is definatly more male centered. There are very few female avatars to choose from, there are female monsters I thouroughly enjoy killing and would like to give them a gift certificate to a good clothing store. One of the missions is totaly distateful to a straight woman. There are very few, hmmm no make that NO male monsters that I find "interesting".

And D some of us women prefer to play ONLY female chars, I bet not many guys play the female ones.
Have to agree on the total lack of 'good' pictures for female characters.  I went with the red-headed bimbo for most of mine on the theory that the guys deserved to get squashed by 'someone' who looked like a total airhead.

On the monsters.... both the cuteness and 'scarey' factors are about zero.  I occasionally find one amusing and every once and a while detest one so much that I'll attack it at the higher levels just to get 'payback' for how tough it was at the lower levels.

If someone wants to create a picture(s) for my top characters - feel free!  I haven't had the time to play with any of the packages that would let me do something like that.
> I went with the red-headed bimbo for most of mine on the theory that the guys deserved to get squashed by 'someone' who looked like a total airhead.

ROTFL!! Yeah, the female choices are pretty bad for the pics. I myself would prefer something with a Valkyrie look to them with big broadswords and those balls on chains thingies. 

Alas, guess I'll just have to remain a viking at heart and go with the goldilocks looking one with the loaded picnic basket.
:D

That would be a mace.....  And you would want a lighter sword than a broadsword - something that you can swing with one hand.  A sword that requires both hands while riding a flying horse is not as effective.

Or maybe the amazon look - so you can have all of the other nice toys like knives and short swords and spears and bow/arrows and....

I spend FAR too much of my life with violent thoughts.

>Or maybe the amazon look - so you can have all of the other nice toys like knives and short swords and spears and bow/arrows and....

Yeah!! That would be cool too!!

>I spend FAR too much of my life with violent thoughts.

Naw!! Just cool ideas.
;)

hehe like the other girls i am a lil dissapointed of the girlpic choises but i just had to chose atleast 1 of them for my chars so i chose the red-haired bimbo LOL and when i saw the other short-haired green-dressed girl(you know the one with the brown hair) well i just had to make her my digger 
Oh well i guess they are good as long as you can tell that there is actually a female creature on them LOL

Although the guys DO have more choices, I will point out that ALL the choices look like they were beat with an ugly stick - a BIG and dirty ugly stick at that.
That is so true Rebane!  Even the scantly clad female monsters got hit with that same stick.
I agree with you.
The guys have much more avatars than we do.
But their avatars look pretty ummmmm bad.
They should add more girl avatars:-)

Affe3
The Youngest Robber In Town
Well I have two cents worth to put in too.  That is: I agree with all of you.
Rebbane, if you trawl through the fantasy art galleries on line there are dozens of pics to choose from. It 
is
 time consuming though, and most would have to be cut to an acceptable size to upload.
BTW, that red-headed bimbo was my first character choice...for the same reason.  LOL

~esme

I cant edit my profile. All it has is my email addy and wont let me change anything else. I am a sub also.

not beat with a big ugly stick......Beat with the UGLY TREE

TD
I wasn't sure if 'ugly tree' was a regional saying, but...  Yes, CLEARLY a whole ugly tree was used.  I don't get it though - the guys have their choice of ugly pictures and the gals have a choice of brainless looking bimbos.  I'm not entirely sure who is worse off!

to the person who suggested the picture search.... I know I COULD do a search on the internet, but I'm still to lazy!
wow...the things that have come into ppls minds since i left

lol yeah M larkinor is falling apart without you :p

And if I might say, the girls' character pictures don't look like Bimbos, they're just smiling :D

P.S. M Come to chat sometime :_|
Actually, lol, its a flail, the is a chain and ball :D, sorry, love my midevil weapons, lol
should have known that - just had to 'buy' one in another rpg.....
nah its just that 
the man is thinking that maybe some girls may 
want to be a man avi
In my experience, ALL games are sexist.  The gaming world has a hard time accepting that females DO play and DO enjoy it.  The reason for this is simple:  the vast majority of gamers are male.  And to top it off, most of them are younger.  So if "forced" to play games with us silly girls, they would prefer us to look as cute and brainless as possible.  

The issue here is that Larki attracts a more adult crowd.  At least a literate one, and we don't need our characters to resemble smut.  After all, here it seems most people recognize it as pixelated :p

Well, I'm rambling, so let me just say I agree.  There should be more options available for character pics.  More at all for the ladiies would be great.  And some nicer ones for both sexes wouldn't hurt.

I miss you all :)
TeT

well tet id have to agree the the majority of gamers are male but really the average age isnt really younge rin a recent study the average age of gamers was 24
LOL Monty 24 is definatly younger!
LOL - just what I was thinking!  Definitely younger....
nowadays, there are 10-12 year olds that play computer games for a few hours a day.  and 'games' usually imply that they're for kids.  so to me, 24 seems like a fairly old average age.  then again, i'm 22, so 24 seems old to me :p
--jason
Anyone (older) feel like stomping on jason?  :-)  I can do it by myself, but us 'old folks' like to be polite and share! ;-)
i relaize 24 is young bane but i belive(if iam wrong tet can correct me) but i thinks he was refering to young teens or younger
hi rebanne... how's it going? :p
just having a little fun here.  hope you don't mind.  if you really want, i'll come pay you a visit some time in larki when i see you running around with the balloon.  you can fry me in one quick hit there if you'd like ;)
--jason
>in a recent study the average age of gamers was 24

Man now I feel REALLY old!!

>Anyone (older) feel like stomping on jason?

Naw!! It will be past his bedtime soon anyway.
VBG!!

Gee, those early bedtimes sure mess up a good 'tromping'.  <SIGH>  I guess I'll have to leave him untromped.  That took all the fun out of my day ;-)
Maybe we can tempt him out with a piece of candy or a cookie?
LOL!!
i will dig up the study they did it for major gaming sites which isnt his one so it may not be representitive 
Bane, I think you and I together could do a pretty good stomp.  Alpie is about our age too and can help.
>>Anyone (older) feel like stomping on jason?

>Naw!! It will be past his bedtime soon anyway.

hmm... that posted at 11:56pm GMT... 7:56pm my time.  it's now 12:18am or so, and i'm still up.  guess i'm not obeying my bedtime ;)

--jason... still waiting to get stomped on :p
oh, and to respond to monty's post, the average of 24 was probably an overall (all gaming sites) number.  larki is definitely a more intelligent game than most, so it attracts a slightly older crowd i'd guess.

though if you took an average of the ages of the owners of every account in this game, it may be close to (or possibly even below) 24.  there are a lot of people aged 10-15 who play for less than one day, and decide they don't like it, so either leave, or continually come back with different accounts to spam our chat room (because each in turn gets banned).

and then if you took all the accounts who have char's at least lvl 2, the average age i'm sure would go up.  and then all accounts who reached at least lvl 10.  and then all who reached level 30.  the average age would probably go up as you raised the cut-off bar for what you consider as those who "play this game".

all that being said, i'm glad there are many others in this game who are older than me.  you all make for some intelligence (in chat and in forum).  if this whole game were played by teens (like many we've seen), i would have gone insane if i stayed as long as i have.  it's all those of you (who want to stomp on me :p) who make this game as great as it is, so thanks.

--jason
actually jason i doubt they  checked here they only did popular gamming sites and i doubt this one counts as that
a lil later but i THINK its can also be called a flail.;\
>i would have gone insane if i stayed as long as i have. it's all those of you (who want to stomp on me ) who make this game as great as it is, so thanks.

Scary to think that one has finally reached an age were they can be someones mentor.

I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane.:D