The game is played with nine object balls numbered one through nine and a cue ball (the white ball).
The aim is to pocket the 9-ball with a legal shot. On each shot the first ball the cue ball contacts must be the lowest-numbered ball on the table, but the balls need not be pocketed in order.
- The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the one ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in random order.
- The game begins with the cue ball in hand behind the head string.
- If no ball is pocketed, at least four object balls must be driven to one or more rails, or the shot is a foul.
If no foul is committed on the break shot, the shooter may choose to play a “push out” as his shot, indicated by pressing the "Push out" button in the lower left corner. "Wrong Ball First" and "No Rail" fouls are suspended for the shot. If no foul is committed on a push out, the other player may play the next shot, or may pass the shot to the opponent.3. Continuing Play
A player is entitled to
continue shooting until he fails to legally pocket a ball.
It is no foul if he fails but then the opposing player is
A player has to complete one shot in 60 seconds, otherwise a foul is called, and incoming player gets cue ball in hand.
If the 9-ball is pocketed by a foul shot then the 9-ball is respotted.
If the shooter commits a foul, play passes to his opponent. The cue ball is in hand, and the incoming player may place it anywhere on the table.
- Bad hit - If the first object ball contacted by the cue ball is not the lowest-numbered ball on the table.
- No rail - If no object ball is pocketed and neither the cue ball, nor any numbered ball hits the rail.
- Scratch - The cue ball is pocketed.
- Timeout - The shot is not completed in 60 seconds.
If a player legally pockets the nine ball on any shot (except a push out), he wins the rack.
If a player fouls three consecutive times on three successive shots without making an intervening legal shot he loses the game.6. Pro Rules
Pro rules can be activated in the "game and chat settings" of the game. (subscribers only)
With pro rules shots has to be called (except the break shot). The system always offers a default ball and pocket, you only have to make a manual call if you wish to play another ball/pocket.
It is NOT a foul, if only non-called ball is pocketed, or a called ball is pocketed in a wrong pocket, but play passes to the opponent.
9-ball has to be called to win the frame. If the 9-ball is pocketed without having been called or in the wrong pocket, it is spotted, and play continues.
Double hits are detected, and any double hit is a foul.